A man comforts a mourner at the site of the suicide bomb attack in Quetta on August 8, 2013. —AFP Photo
Police officials gather at the site of the suicide bomb attack in Quetta on August 8, 2013. —AFP Photo
QUETTA: A suicide blast at the funeral of a slain police officer in Quetta killed 30 members of the police force, including a DIG and SP, and 60 others injured on Thursday.
"So far we can confirm 21 police personnel, including senior police officials, have been killed. Nine other victims are yet to be identified," Inspector General Mushtaq Sukhera told a press conference. "I can confirm 40 people have been injured."
Sukhera confirmed the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber. “The death toll may rise because the condition of most of the injured is critical,” he said.
The inspector general of the provincial police confirmed the death of 30 people said at a news conference that 21 of those killed had been identified, and all of them were members of the Balochistan police.
According to reports, the suicide bomber detonated his explosives outside the mosque in Quetta's Police Lines area where the funeral procession of station house officer Mohibullah was being held. The bomb went off as senior officers prepared to offer prayers for their colleague.
The injured were shifted to the Civil Hospital and the Combined Military Hospital.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Police Operations Fayyaz Sumbal, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Headquarters Shamsuddin and Superintendent Ali Mehr were among the senior police officials killed in the bombing.
Sukhera said among the senior officials killed were one DIG and three DSPs.”Our brave officers embraced martyrdom but we will continue sacrificing our lives for the security of our motherland,” he said.
IG Mushtaq Sukhira said the people involved in this act of terrorism could not be called Muslim or even human beings. “Such attacks cannot demoralise the police force,” he said. “Terrorists snatched sons from mothers and fathers, brothers from sisters and husbands from wives.”
Answering a question, he said: “We will investigate how the bomber wearing suicide jacket managed to reach the Police Lines.”
The blast was the second targeted attack on Thursday on police personnel in the provincial capital, which has been under high security the entire day. SHO Mohibullah was shot dead by unknown gunmen earlier this morning when he was reportedly taking his family for Eid shopping.
Eyewitnesses said fear and chaos spread among the people attending the funeral following the blast. TV channels broadcast live footage from inside the mosque of frightened mourners scrambling for cover as they heard the loud explosion.
“All my colleagues are gone. The DSP, SP, DIG… they’re all gone,” said one emotional eyewitness reduced to tears.
Some described the horror after the explosion. “I was inside the mosque and we were lining up for the funeral prayers when a big blast took place. I came out and saw injured and dead bodies,” policeman Mohammad Hafiz told reporters. “I have no words to explain what I've seen. It was horrible.”
Shahidullah Shahid, a spokesman for Pakistan's umbrella Tehrik-i-Taliban faction, claimed responsibility.
“We did it and soon you see another big attack in the next coming days,” he said.
“We are at war with police and other security agencies. They are attacking us and we are targeting them,” Shahid said.
“Anywhere and whenever we get the chance, we will target security forces, government officials and police,” he added.