LAHORE: An accountability court on Monday extended judicial remand of Jang group editor-in-chief Mir Shakilur Rehman in a 34-year-old case of 54-kanal land allegedly allotted to him by then Punjab chief minister Nawaz Sharif.

However, the jail officials did not produce the suspect before the court under precautionary measures taken in view of Covid-19 pandemic.

A NAB prosecutor told the court that proceedings of the cases awaiting commencement of trials could be postponed under the pandemic-related guidelines issued by the government.

Presiding Judge Jawadul Hassan adjourned hearing till June 15.

The NAB alleged that Shakilur Rehman illegally obtained exemption of 54 plots each measuring one-kanal situated in Block-H, Johar Town. It said the allotment of the land had been in connivance with then chief minister Nawaz Sharif against the exemption policy and the laws for monitory gains.

Published in Dawn, June 2nd, 2020

Editorial

17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...