Minister announces ‘ad ban’ on channel that laid off 170 employees

Published
0
In this file photo, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar addresses a press conference in Islamabad. — DawnNewsTV/File
In this file photo, Information Minister Attaullah Tarar addresses a press conference in Islamabad. — DawnNewsTV/File

ISLAMABAD: Members of the Parliamentary Reporters Association (PRA) staged a walkout from the press gallery during Monday’s sitting of the National Assembly to protest layoffs and non-payment of dues by a couple of private TV channels, prompting the information minister to intervene.

Subsequently, a delegation of MNAs and senators, including Information Minister Attaullah Tarar, visited the media room to discuss the issue, while MQM-P senior leader Syed Aminul Haq and other lawmakers spoke about the plight faced by media professionals during their speeches in the house.

Addressing the house later, Tarar said that all government advertisements had been halted to a private TV channel — which recently fired 170 employees — until it provided an explanation for the action and what could be done to arbitrate the issue.

During the interaction, the ad ban on Dawn also came up. Responding to the journalists’ concerns, Tarar announced that ads for Dawn were being resu­m­­ed. He claimed that ads had been released to DawnNewsTV. “The advertisements for Dawn have been released and a settlement will soon be reached with the newspaper as well,” the minister said after the PRA meeting.

In addition, he said that the management of another TV channel that had not paid its employees for three mo­­­nths had been summoned to Islamabad for discussions.

The minister asked the media owners to “sit down” with their employees to reach a settlement, adding that the overburdening of junior employees “was not acceptable”. He said the federal government could arbitrate if so desired by the negotiating parties, noting, “Representatives of both houses are here and in good numbers.”

“Our biggest responsibility is dues,” Tarar said, adding that he was satisfied that the government had paid all dues in a timely manner, with employees as their priority.

The walkout ended after the discussion and the minister’s assurances that he would take up the matter with the relevant parties.

Published in Dawn, May 12th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Work in progress
17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
Unfit supplies
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
Israel’s war on life
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Balochistan’s wounds
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
Tax scheme
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
In choppy waters
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...