‘Devoid of facts’: Info ministry rubbishes claims of barbed wire being removed along Pak-Afghan border

Published April 1, 2026
A Pakistani soldier keeps vigil beside a newly fenced border fencing along Afghan border at Kitton Orchard Post in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal agency on October 18, 2017. — AFP/ File
A Pakistani soldier keeps vigil beside a newly fenced border fencing along Afghan border at Kitton Orchard Post in Pakistan’s North Waziristan tribal agency on October 18, 2017. — AFP/ File

The information ministry on Wednesday dismissed claims regarding the removal of the barbed wire along the Pak-Afghan border as “fabricated and devoid of facts”.

In a post on X, the ministry’s fact-checking account denounced these “fake claims by the Afghan Taliban regime and Indian RAW’s (Indian intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing) mouthpieces”.

It said that the Pak-Afghan border, also called the Durand Line, was 2,640 kilometres long and guarded by Pakistan.

“The Taliban regime works hand in glove with terrorists, smugglers and criminal mafia to infiltrate [it],” it said, adding that the complex dynamics of the border had already been explained multiple times by relevant security officials.

The ministry’s post also referred to a November 2025 press conference by the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) Director General (DG) Lt Gen Ahmed Sharif Chaudhry, during which he spoke about terrorist infiltration through the Pak-Afghan border and challenges being faced in this regard. He had also said that Afghan forces open fire at Pakistani checkposts across the border to facilitate the infiltration of terrorists into the country.

In its post, the ministry also shared a screenshot of another post by an X account named Afghanistan Defence, in which Afghan forces were quoted as stating that “operations to completely remove the barbed wire along the Durand Line are ongoing and progressing rapidly”. The post also had video clips showing men trying to cut barbed wire at what appeared to be a fence.

The information ministry’s post said all “clips being uploaded by Taliban regime outlets are created content, dated and in line with kharjis/ Taliban propaganda tactics of appearing for a few minutes to record content and then running away”.

“Such content creation confirms not only the cowardly nature of these kharjis and Taliban, but also how they live in a make-believe world of propaganda and deceit,” the post said.

“The Pak-Afghan border fence is fully intact, and in fact, all such attempts [to dismantle it] are given a heavy and disproportionate response there and then,” it added.

It said that “frustrated by the destruction of more than 250 border posts, along with the capture of dozens of posts by Pakistan’s law enforcement agencies in precise and targeted operations under Operation Ghazab lil-Haq, the Afghan Taliban regime has resorted to a familiar litany of lies to satisfy their domestic audience”.

Opinion

Editorial

Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...
The Afghan problem
Updated 18 May, 2026

The Afghan problem

It is to its own peril that the Afghan side seems to be mistaking Islamabad’s restraint for lack of resolve.
Unwillingness to tax
18 May, 2026

Unwillingness to tax

THE latest IMF staff report reveals the scale of Pakistan’s fiscal dilemma. The approval of fresh disbursements...
Unkind cyberspace
18 May, 2026

Unkind cyberspace

WHEN abuse occurs face to face, the boundaries are clear. Yet, the same behaviour online is treated less seriously....