Murad warns of strict action over blocking roads in the name of protest

Published February 3, 2026
CM Murad addresses a conference launching province-wide polio drive in Karachi on Feb 2. —Photo courtesy @SindhCMHouse/x
CM Murad addresses a conference launching province-wide polio drive in Karachi on Feb 2. —Photo courtesy @SindhCMHouse/x

KARACHI: In a hard-hitting warning to the opposition parties, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has categorically said that disruptive protests, particularly those paralysing major roads, would face strict action.

He was talking to the media after launching a province-wide polio vaccination campaign at the Government Girls and Boys Primary, Secondary and Higher Secondary School, Chanesar Goth.

Regarding the protest call by the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf on Feb 8 and Jamaat-i-Islami on Feb 14, he said that the closure of important thoroughfares, including Sharea Faisal and Shaheed-i-Millat Road, would not be tolerated, and strict action would be taken against violation.

He issued a stern warning to politicians, making clear that protests paralysing major roads would be met with severe consequences.

Kicks off drive to vaccinate 10.5m children against polio across Sindh

Mr Shah said that steps were being taken to strengthen the fire brigade and an integrated disaster response system.

Seeks parents’ cooperation in fight against polio

Earlier, speaking at the ceremony, the chief minister sought parents’ cooperation to sustain vaccination efforts, while warning that failure to do so could undo recent gains.

“Parents’ cooperation is decisive in winning the fight against polio. If a team doesn’t visit you, parents should immediately approach the nearest basic health unit or inform the local administration,” he said, emphasising that no child should be left unvaccinated.

Mr Shah noted that polio now existed only in Pakistan and Afghanistan, describing it as a matter of shame for the nation.

“Two drops of polio vaccine can save our children from lifelong disability. The only solution is to eliminate the virus,” he said, stressing that polio eradication efforts must continue until environmental samples test negative for the virus.

Citing World Health Organisation (WHO) verification, he categorically stated that polio drops did not cause any illness and appealed to religious scholars, teachers, elected representatives, political leaders and social figures to play their role in convincing people to vaccinate their children.

The chief minister recalled that Sindh had nearly eradicated polio in 2018. But, he pointed out, the “interruption caused by caretaker governments” led to a resurgence of cases between 2019 and 2021.

He reaffirmed that Sindh was committed to completely pointed out, the “interruption caused by caretaker governments” led to a resurgence of cases between 2019 and 2021.

He reaffirmed that Sindh was committed to completely eradicating polio, describing the campaign as a national duty requiring participation from all sectors of society.

“A polio-free Sindh is our mission. We will implement a zero-tolerance policy against negligence at every level,” he asserted.

Mr Shah directed the administration to ensure strict monitoring of the campaign at the UC level and warned that action would be taken against individuals or households refusing to cooperate with vaccination teams.

To ensure the safety of frontline workers, he said that more than 21,000 police and Rangers personnel had been deployed for the security of polio teams. “Polio workers are our heroes, and their protection is the responsibility of the government,” he said.

He further disclosed that he had written to media house owners, requesting them to support the national cause by allocating 5-10 seconds every hour in their bulletins for polio awareness. “This is a national duty and cooperation of the media is crucial,” he said.

Earlier on arrival at the school, the chief minister was received by Sindh Labour Minister Saeed Ghani, Education Minister Sardar Ali Shah, Additional IG Karachi Azad Khan, Karachi Commissioner Hassan Naqvi, secretary school education Zahid Abbasi, secretary health Tahir Sangi, and Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) Coordinator Shehryar Memon.

Representatives of WHO, UNICEF, Rotary International and other partner organisations were also present.

Published in Dawn, February 3rd, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...