KARACHI: Senior Sindh Minister Sharjeel Inam Memon on Tuesday said that the provincial government was “working tirelessly” on the Bus Rapid Transit Red Line project and the issues with it were being resolved.

Addressing a press conference, he said that the provincial government was not delaying the project in any way. “There are some issues with the Red Line BRT project that are currently being resolved,” he added.

The minister said that no work had been done on the project during the nine-month caretaker government as there was negligence on the part of some officers at that time.

He acknowledged that there were challenges in the project. “If there is any audit or accountability issue, we are ready to appear before any commission,” he said, adding that all available resources were being utilised for the project.

Mr Memon said that the transfer of utilities’ infrastructure was a significant problem.

“The provincial government is ready to provide funds to relocate K-Electric poles,” he added.

The minister said that the 96-inch water line passed through the middle of the BRT. “We cannot complete our work first and then dig again to lay the K-4 line,” he said.

He said that showroom owners on the new M.A. Jinnah Road were concerned that the project would harm the beauty of their showrooms and destroy their business.

“These businessmen went to the World Bank, which funded the project, but were told it could not be changed, as things cannot be done based on the request of every individual,” he added.

He said that due to an unfortunate incident at the airport, the Civil Aviation was also not allowing work on the project.

He stated that the work was also underway on Jam Sadiq Bridge, which was scheduled to be completed in December 2025.

“However, we will complete this work in March or April 2025,” he added.

He said that people were suffering at some places due to development and uplift works. “We know that people are suffering, and there are challenges, but we cannot stop the work because of them,” he added.

He also extended his heartfelt New Year greetings to the entire nation.

The minister urged the people to celebrate the New Year responsibly and ensure that they did not do anything that caused suffering to others. “Citizens should strictly avoid aerial firing, which is banned by the Sindh government,” he warned.

Published in Dawn, January 1st, 2025

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...