New Zealand call off Australia tour over Covid rules

Published January 20, 2022
This file photo shows Australia's Glenn Maxwell in action in a World T20 final against New Zealand on Nov 14, 2021 at Dubai cricket stadium. — Reuters/File
This file photo shows Australia's Glenn Maxwell in action in a World T20 final against New Zealand on Nov 14, 2021 at Dubai cricket stadium. — Reuters/File

WELLINGTON: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) called off an upcoming tour of Australia on Wednesday, 11 days before the scheduled first match, because of strict Covid-19 quarantine requirements.

Since the tour was arranged, the New Zealand government has changed its rules for entry into the country because of the threat posed by the Omicron variant.

There is now a 10-day mandatory isolation period for all incoming travellers, and Wellington could not guarantee there would be places in quarantine facilities for the team.

Although Australia offered to extend the length of the tour so the New Zealand players could return at a time when there was availability, the government said it had no capacity to meet that request.

“As we now know, the advent of Omicron prompted a change of heart from the government,” NZC chief executive David White said.

“NZC and Cricket Australia had explored a proposal to expand the tour and to push out the date on which the squad might return to New Zealand, in the hope that might be more achievable for the government.

“But we received advice this morning that they could not provide certainty over this, either.”

New Zealand coach Gary Stead had said previously he would not be naming any Test players for the Australian tour because of the limited time between the last match in Australia on Feb 8 and the first Test against South Africa starting on Feb 17 in Christchurch.

The team was to have played three ODIs and a sole Twenty20 game in Australia in a tour initially scheduled last year when the New Zealand government signalled its intention to relax managed-isolation conditions relating to the trans-Tasman border.

Published in Dawn, January 20th, 2022

Opinion

Editorial

Dark days
Updated 26 May, 2022

Dark days

The PTI, on its part, does not seem to have been prepared to face such a large deployment of state machinery.
26 May, 2022

No room for dissent

WHILE political turmoil roils the land, a number of incidents over the past few days have demonstrated that though...
26 May, 2022

Harassing passengers

REPORTS of the confiscation of personal items from passengers’ private luggage by customs officials at Karachi’s...
Back to bedlam
Updated 25 May, 2022

Back to bedlam

FEAR tactics have never worked in the past, and most likely will not this time either. The government’s ...
25 May, 2022

Balochistan blaze

THE forest fire on the Koh-i-Sulaiman range in Balochistan’s Shirani area is among a series of blazes to have...
25 May, 2022

Unequal citizens

INDIFFERENCE would have been bad enough, but the state’s attitude towards non-Muslims falls squarely in the...