NZ captain Latham thanks 'brilliant' Pakistan authorities for keeping players safe

Published September 22, 2021
In this file photo, New Zealand Captain Tom Latham is seen addressing a press conference. — AFP/File
In this file photo, New Zealand Captain Tom Latham is seen addressing a press conference. — AFP/File

New Zealand's cricket squad arrived home on Wednesday after abandoning their tour of Pakistan, with their stand-in captain Tom Latham praising the "brilliant" authorities for keeping Kiwi players safe during their stay.

New Zealand's withdrawal last week dealt a massive blow to Pakistan's hopes of staging regular international cricket, with England subsequently calling off their men's and women's tours.

Latham, New Zealand's stand-in captain for the cancelled tour, said the squad had a “hectic” 24 hours once they found out they were heading home.

“While we were there after the decision, the Pakistan authorities were brilliant,” he said. “We certainly need to thank them.”

Read more: Device used to send threat to New Zealand team belonged to India: information minister

Latham said it was “naturally very disappointing” for Pakistan and their fans. “It was something they were very proud of,” he added.

“It was a historic moment for New Zealand Cricket to be back there 18 years since they were last there.

“To be part of that was going to be something special, but obviously things changed.”

The 24-strong Black Caps squad landed in Auckland after flying from Dubai and will spend the next 14 days in mandatory Covid-19 hotel quarantine.

“We managed to get to Dubai 24 hours after the decision was made,” he told the team's in-house media channel.

“The guys dealt with it all slightly differently but we stayed tight as a group over there in those 24 hours we had in Islamabad.”

The tour was called off on the day the first one-day international was due to be played after a “specific and credible” threat directed at the New Zealand squad, New Zealand Cricket boss David White said.

The withdrawal and England's subsequent cancellation drew a furious reaction from Pakistan's cricket board, with chairman Ramiz Raja saying the nation had been “used and binned” by the game's Western bloc.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...