DADU: Pakistan Peoples Party’s MPA Nawab Sardar Ahmed Chandio and his younger brother Nawab Burhan Khan Chandio, who was former adviser to Sindh chief minister, appeared in model court as suspects in Mehar triple murder case on Saturday.
The influential duo were among the suspects nominated in the murder case of former chairman of Baldai union council, Rais Karamullah Chandio; his two sons, Qabil Chandio, former member of district council, and Mukhtiar Chandio, former chairman of Tamandar union council.
The father and sons were killed in an attack on their house in Mehar town on Jan 17, 2018, and the complaints of the FIR alleged that the suspected assailants committed the triple murder at the behest of Nawab Sardar Ahmed, who was also chieftain of Chandio tribe.
The arrested suspects, Ali Gohar, Sattar Chandio and Sikandar Chandio were also brought to the court amid tight security, but the judge put off the hearing to Dec 5.
Umme Rubab, granddaughter of late Karamullah Chandio, told media persons at the court that police had so far failed to arrest the two absconding suspects and she was not satisfied with the operation police were carrying out to catch them.
She objected to Nawab Sardar Ahmed’s arrival in court in a large procession of supporters and said that when she faced serious threats (from the MPA and his brother), they had brought a large crowd to the court without going through checking.
She said that she was recording her protest and cautioned that if any harm came to her, police would be responsible for it. Her opponents and suspects in the case were using various tactics to intimidate and terrorise them, she said.
She said that her opponents had lodged a petition in Sindh High Court against her and against the court decision, hence hearing of the case had been extended to Dec 5.
She said that despite police operation in different areas of Dadu the two absconders, Zulfiqar Chandio and Murtaza Chandio, had not been arrested yet. She was not satisfied with police actions, she said, adding that Supreme Court had called IGP Sindh to appear in court on Nov 27.
Nawab Sardar Ahmed told journalists in response to Umme Rubab’s objections that it was their right to challenge the court decision. People of his tribe loved him and he could not stop them if they wanted to accompany him to court, he said, adding objections raised by Umme Rubab had no rational basis.
He said that 50 policemen had surrounded the court building during the hearing but they did not object to it. They had no involvement in this case yet their names were “wrongly” implicated in it.
Police were carrying out operation for arresting the absconders and he had no objection to the operation, he added.
Meanwhile, police teams led by Hyderabad DIG Sharjeel Ahmed Kharal continued search operation in Dadu and Qambar-Shahdadkot districts. A total of 10 suspects had been detained so far and they were being interrogated, said sources.
Published in Dawn, November 22nd, 2020