QUETTA: The Balochistan government has decided to strictly enforce standard operating procedures (SOPs) to prevent coronavirus from spreading in the province.
Speaking at a press conference here on Monday, Balochistan government spokesman Liaquat Shahwani said that it had been decided to impose a fine of Rs300 on people who were found at public places without wearing a facemask.
He said the visitors as well as employees would be strictly banned from entering the government offices without wearing masks.
Mr Shahwani said the government had not decided to impose a complete or smart lockdown in Balochistan but would do so if people ignored the safety measures issued by the authorities.
He said the cases of Covid-19 had started increasing, while deaths were also reported in recent days in Quetta.
He said in view of the fear of the second wave of coronavirus the government had started precautionary measures.
The spokesman said Chief Minister Jam Kamal Khan Alyani had directed the health authorities to inform the National Disaster Management Authority and other federal authorities about the requirement of testing kits, safety gear for the doctors and other staff.
He said the government had also decided to close bazaars and business centres by 10pm and implement the SOPs issued for the marriage halls, restaurants and hotels.
Meanwhile, Vice President of All Balochistan Marriage Halls Association Zahir Khan has urged the government to withdraw its decision about closure of marriage halls.
He said closure of wedding halls from Nov 20 to Jan 31 is not acceptable as the decision would cause massive unemployment in the province.
Published in Dawn, November 10th, 2020