14 Afghan security men killed in clashes with Taliban

Published September 22, 2020
Taliban fighters' overnight assault inflicted a heavy toll that has left Afghan troops vulnerable to being overrun. — Reuters/File
Taliban fighters' overnight assault inflicted a heavy toll that has left Afghan troops vulnerable to being overrun. — Reuters/File

KANDAHAR: At least 14 Afghan soldiers and police were killed during intense fighting with the Taliban in southern Afghanistan, officials said on Monday, as unabated violence gripped the country despite ongoing peace talks.

Taliban fighters launched an overnight assault late on Sunday on several Afghan security force positions in the southern province of Uruzgan, inflicting a heavy toll that left Afghan troops vulnerable to being overrun.

The government-controlled district of Gizab also risked falling into insurgent hands, officials said.

“Intense fighting is ongoing. Our forces have retreated from several outposts,” Zelgai Ebadi, a spokesman for the provincial governor, said.

Officials said 14 Afghan security forces had been killed and more than a dozen more wounded.

“The fighting is now close to police headquarters. We need more reinforcements,” said Amir Mohammad Barekzai, head of the Uruzgan provincial council.

The battle comes as Taliban and Afghan government negotiators are meeting in Doha, where they are trying to find a way to end 19 years of war.

A hopeful start to the talks more than a week ago was immediately marred by fresh violence across Afghanistan, and negotiators have made little tangible progress.

On Saturday in the northeastern province of Kunduz, the Afghan air force conducted multiple strikes on Taliban positions that killed more than 30 insurgent fighters, military officials said.

However, local officials on Monday said the strikes killed at least 17 civilians.

Esmatullah Muradi, spokesman for the Kunduz provincial governor, said the civilians died as they gathered at the site of an initial strike against the Taliban.

“Based on our initial investigation, 17 civilians were also killed and 15 more injured in the second air strike,” Muradi said, adding an “unknown number” of militants had been killed.

The defence ministry has not confirmed any civilian casualties and said it was investigating the case.

The interior ministry meanwhile said the Taliban had killed 98 civilians and wounded 230 more over the past two weeks in Afghanistan.

In Kabul, at least one person was killed and three more injured on Monday in three separate explosions caused by so-called sticky bombs — homemade devices attached to vehicles with magnets that are regularly used to target security forces.

No group immediately claimed responsibility.

Speaking in Kabul, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani however appeared hopeful about peace talks.

“Peace is not possible without compromise,” he told a gathering to mark International Peace Day. “Peace talks are like playing chess. Be patient,” he said.

Published in Dawn, September 22nd, 2020

Opinion

Editorial

Mianwali raid
Updated 02 Feb, 2023

Mianwali raid

The military needs to share intelligence with civilian agencies to neutralise the militant menace nationwide.
Corruption unlimited
02 Feb, 2023

Corruption unlimited

PAKISTAN’S consistent slide on Transparency International’s Corruption Perceptions Index over the last several...
Women police officers
02 Feb, 2023

Women police officers

IN a heartening development, a second female police officer has been appointed as DPO in Attock, weeks after the...
Road to perdition
Updated 01 Feb, 2023

Road to perdition

This is also the time of reckoning for those who sowed the seeds of a disastrous policy against militants.
Transport tragedies
01 Feb, 2023

Transport tragedies

TWO tragedies over the weekend illustrate the weak protocols governing the safety of transport in Pakistan. In fact,...
Disqualifying Jam Awais
01 Feb, 2023

Disqualifying Jam Awais

IT appears that there may be some kind of small punishment after all for PPP lawmaker Jam Awais, who was pardoned ...