Turkish interior minister Suleyman Soylu said on Sunday that seven people including three children were killed in eastern Turkey after a 5.7 magnitude earthquake hit neighbouring Iran, the state-run Anadolu Agency reported.
The health ministry later confirmed that two more people have died bringing the total number of people killed to nine. It also said that 37 people have been injured, including nine who are in critical condition.
The effects of the quake hit four villages in the Van province.
"Seven of the fatalities occurred in Ozpinar village, where search and rescue teams have arrived," said Soylu.
He added that the quake caused 1,066 buildings to collapse while the education ministry said a number of schools were damaged.
"No one remains trapped under fallen buildings," said Van Governor Mehmet Emin Bilmez.
The health minister fahrettin Koca said that 25 ambulances, a medical helicopter and 13 emergency teams have been sent to the region. The Disaster and Emergency Management Directorate (AFAD) said 144 tents for families have been dispatched.
The epicentre of the quake, which struck at 9:23 am, was near the Iranian village of Habash-e Olya, less than 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border, according to the United States Geological Survey.
The province was struck earlier this month by two avalanches that resulted in the deaths of 41 people.
Meanwhile, Iran's official news agency IRNA reported that the earthquake affected 43 villages in the mountainous Qotour area. The report further said that some residents were injured but did not mention their condition.