Planned govt briefing on National Action Plan cancelled after opposition leaders back out

Published March 27, 2019
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi had written to opposition parties and asked them to take part in the consultative process to speed up implementation of the National Action Plan. ─ Photo courtesy FO/File
Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi had written to opposition parties and asked them to take part in the consultative process to speed up implementation of the National Action Plan. ─ Photo courtesy FO/File

A planned government briefing to parliamentary leaders on the implementation of the National Action Plan (NAP) against terrorism, scheduled for March 28, was cancelled by the government after leaders of major opposition parties declined to participate in the meeting due to "political considerations".

Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi's spokesperson told DawnNewsTV that PML-N leader Shahbaz Sharif had declined to attend the meeting through a letter, while PPP Co-Chairman Asif Zardari and JUI-F chief Fazlur Rehman had communicated their unavailability with the government via telephone.

The spokesperson claimed that they had all declined to attend due to their "political engagements".

"Under these circumstances, due to the political considerations of opposition parties, the consultation will not be held," the spokesperson added.

The government had formally initiated the process of consultations on NAP with opposition parties in mid-March.

Although there was no mention of military courts in the foreign minister's letters to opposition leaders, a number of opposition members believe the main purpose of the activity was to seek their consent for their extension. The two-year term of the courts is set to expire soon.

The main opposition parties had been contemplating a boycott of the planned briefing due to prevailing tensions with the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf.

A source in the PPP earlier said that after the "brutal police action" against party workers gathered outside the Islamabad NAB office to show support for Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari, it had become difficult for the leadership to sit with government functionaries at any forum.

Opposition Leader Shahbaz Sharif had urged the government to brief the whole parliament instead of convening a meeting of "selected leaders", while the JUI-F chief had announced that his party had previously rejected NAP and therefore would not attend the scheduled briefing.

The opposition PPP had previously taken a tough stance on the issue of military courts and had extended its conditional support to the previous PML-N government over it, and is again opposed to the idea of giving them another extension.

The party had, during its Central Executive Committee meeting held in Naudero on Dec 26 last year, already declared through a resolution that the parliament should not give another extension to the military courts, according to party stalwart Farhatullah Babar.

Sources in the PTI said the government had decided to engage opposition parties over the issue as it did not have the required two-thirds majority in both houses of parliament to get the constitutional amendment bill passed for this purpose.

Opinion

Editorial

Untruths and politics
Updated 01 Oct, 2022

Untruths and politics

It would arguably be in the national interest for the Supreme Court to take up the cipher and settle the matter.
Farmers’ protest
01 Oct, 2022

Farmers’ protest

SEVERAL hundred farmers have converged on Islamabad for the last three days to protest against the soaring costs of...
Dasht-i-Barchi bombing
01 Oct, 2022

Dasht-i-Barchi bombing

ON Friday morning, Kabul’s Dasht-i-Barchi neighbourhood was rocked by a terrorist attack targeting an educational...
Avenfield relief
Updated 30 Sep, 2022

Avenfield relief

Accountability cannot continue to be treated like a revolving door in which politicians can be shoved in or pulled out on a whim.
Dar’s plans
Updated 30 Sep, 2022

Dar’s plans

For starters, the country doesn’t have spare dollars to burn.
Another targeted attack
30 Sep, 2022

Another targeted attack

WEDNESDAY’S deadly attack on three Chinese-origin individuals in Karachi’s Saddar area demonstrates the threat...