Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

KARACHI: A local court on Wednesday remanded to police custody another three officials of K-Electric booked in the case pertaining to the falling of live electric wire on a child, Mohammad Umar, on Aug 25, resulting in amputation of both his arms to save his life.

The investigating officer on Wednesday produce Syed Suleman, Yasir and Hafeez before the judicial magistrate concerned (Malir) and requested for their physical remand in police custody.

The IO informed that the suspects were taken into custody on information given by the already detained officials of the power utility.

He requested that the three men be given in police remand arguing that the suspects were to be interrogated and their absconding accomplices were yet to be arrested.

Allowing the request, the judicial magistrate remanded the three men in custody of the police till Sept 8 and directed the IO to submit a progress report on the next date.

Six officials of K-Electric — deputy manager Saeed Ahmed, assistant engineer Syed Mohammad Asim, Asif Iqbal, Saqib Husain, Sagheer Raza, Mirza Asif Beg and Mohammad Mushtaq — have already been remanded in police custody in the case pertaining to falling of live electric wire on Umar.

Nine others had obtained interim pre-arrest bail on Tuesday in the case.

A case was registered under sections 337H-1 and 336 of the Pakistan Penal Code against KE-Gadap on the complaint of the boy’s father at the SITE Superhighway Industrial police station.

Section 336 pertains to an offence that “destroys or permanently impairs functioning power or capacity of an organ of body of another person or causes permanent disfigurement”.

The complainant stated that his family planned to go for a picnic and he sent his son to bring something from outside. At around 10.30am, he was informed that a live electric wire had fallen on his son and it was removed by the area people with the help of wooden sticks from his hands.

Due to high voltage, both hands of the boy were badly burnt and had to be amputated to save his life.

Published in Dawn, September 6th, 2018