Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

KARACHI: A 25-year-old woman died while her mother and younger brother fell unconscious after consuming contaminated food in Korangi, police officials said on Tuesday.

The police ruled out any possibility of deliberate poisoning of food citing the initial findings of doctors at the Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) who examined the body and the two other victims of the incident.

They said two women and a man were moved to the JPMC by the area people after they were found unconscious at their home in Gulshan-i-Millat, Korangi, on Tuesday morning.

During the treatment, they said, one of the women identified as Ishrat passed away.

The other two — 55-year-old Sharif-un-Nisa and 24-year-old Javed — however recovered after initial medication and were admitted to the facility for further treatment.

The police later recorded the statements of Sharif-un-Nisa and Javed and matched it with the findings of the doctors to reach the conclusion.

“The woman said she had cooked pulses with vegetable for Monday’s lunch and the family also ate it at dinner the same night,” said Awami Colony SHO inspector Nasir Mahmood.

“After having dinner they fell unconscious. In the morning, one of the neighbours who worked with Javed came to pick him up and despite knocking at the door and calling him over mobile phone received no response. He then gathered other neighbours who somehow entered their home and found all three unconscious,” the police officer added.

The doctors, he said, also ruled out presence of poisonous substance in their food and cited its poor quality as the only reason behind the incident.

The body was later handed over to the family after legal formalities and no case was registered, he added.

Published in Dawn, November 1st, 2017