KOHAT: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa police chief has stressed coordination between the police, the army and intelligence agencies to ensure peaceful environment in the most sensitive Kohat and Hangu districts during Muharram.
IGP Salahuddin Mehsud stated this during a daylong visit to Kohat on Friday. He discussed security situation with the army officers and jirgas of elders from both the Shia and Sunni sects from both the districts.
He reviewed the security arrangements and expressed satisfaction over them. He said more than 35,000 policemen had been deployed for the security throughout the province.
He was briefed by army and police officials about the foolproof measures taken to protect lives and property of the people and ensure safety of mourners’ processions.
The IGP said the army would be on standby in Hangu and Kohat to take full control in case of any untoward incident.
Mr Mehsud emphasised that routine life of common people was not disrupted due to security measures.
Later, he was briefed about security of the mourners’ routes and various Imambargahs.
Meanwhile, security in Kohat was put on red alert following a foreign-sponsored terror threat issued by the home department.
Talking to reporters, deputy commissioner Akmal Khan said there would be no mobile phone service on 9th and 10th of Muharram and all entrances to the city would be sealed.
He said Frontier Constabulary and police would perform joint security of the mourners’ meetings and processions.
Published in Dawn, September 23rd, 2017