LONDON: Reham Khan formally announced on Saturday that divorce papers had been signed by her and Imran Khan.
In a statement, she said that the reason for a relationship breakdown was exactly that — “a breakdown in the relationship”.
“With a heavy heart we both decided before I left for England that it was best to part ways so our work commitments are not affected by our personal problems,” said Ms Reham.
She dismissed rumours of any agreement for a financial settlement as false. “It is unfortunate and condemnable how media has been indulging in unbecoming behaviour and language,” she said, adding “media started with speculation and followed with serious accusations without evidence. The quest for ratings and the misogynistic witch hunt is shameful and I plan to campaign actively for a media ethics board monitoring all output.”
Ms Reham said that IRK films (Imran Raza Kazmi Films) was neither her production company nor did she handle finances for it. “I’m merely a creative mentor with no investment or share in profit. The balance sheet is available for verification of funds and sponsors,” she said.
She also rejected allegations that she had received Rs50 million from PTI leader Aleem Khan and Rs80m from Faisal Wada, another leader of the PTI.
She said that the allegation of physical violence was ‘not only pure fiction but ludicrous’.
“The allegations of anyone poisoning Imran Khan are not based on fact and no stomach washing was ever carried out.”
Ms Reham said she would continue to work on the projects and causes that were dear to her, like child protection issues.
“Divorce is a painful experience and we would appreciate sensitivity and understanding from the media for both of us and our children at this difficult time.
“A malicious campaign against me and my children for over a year has driven us to this decision. I hope that now me and my children will be left alone to rebuild our lives.”
Published in Dawn, November 8th, 2015