ISLAMABAD: Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi on Saturday came to the defence of two government officials who drew flak after a video of them riding in a horse carriage during an Independence Day parade in Islamabad went viral on social media.
In the widely circulated video, Capital Development Authority (CDA) Chairman retired Lt Sohail Ashraf and Islamabad Inspector General of Police (IGP) Syed Ali Nasir Rizvi are seen riding into the parade in what appears to be the presidential buggy. Even as the attendees are prompted to applaud for the officials, no claps are heard in the video.
The video sparked criticism on social media, with many likening the act to a “colonial” mindset.
Meanwhile, Naqvi issued a clarification on X, stating that it was not the officials’ fault.
“The chief guest and I were delayed due to the president’s meeting with the prime minister. The crowd had been waiting since 5pm, and at around 6:00 pm, when it became clear that we would be late, we instructed the officers to start the programme because we did not want the public to wait any longer.”
Naqvi maintained that the carriage was arranged for the chief guest but had to be used by officers “due to unavoidable circumstances”.
“I can say on record that both officers initially resisted starting the programme in our absence, but we specifically instructed them to proceed for the convenience of the public,” he said, adding that he remained grateful to the residents of Islamabad for making the event “a true celebration”.
But others continued with the criticism. Even after his clarification, former federal minister Shireen Mazari shared a post by digital rights activist Usama Khilji who criticised the two officials, saying, “this is what happens when you do things unbecoming of your office”.
Journalist Farzana Ali, reacting to the video, questioned: “Are these scenes from the same country where a new burden is imposed on poverty-stricken people every day on the pretext that the country is facing difficulties?”
Journalist Zarrar Khuhro also shared the video with a one-word caption: “CRINGE”.
Researcher Ammar Rashid stressed that the “pindrop silence” from the audience at the carriage’s arrival indicated the “contempt” the public had for “these unelected babus ruining our cities”.
Journalist and former chairman of the Pakistan Electronic Media Authority (Pemra) Absar Alam also reacted to the video, saying it was “revolting” to look at the “inferiority complex of brownsahibsof bureaucracy”.
Former Sindh governor and Awaam Pakistan leader Mohammad Zubair juxtaposed the video against one showing the Norwegian foreign minister’s arrival in Islamabad earlier this week. The minister was said to have handled his luggage on his own at the airport.
Political analyst Zaigham Khan shared a similar video, saying that “once upon a time, this was a symbol of immense grandeur and splendour. Today, it brings nothing but humiliation”.
Journalist Fahd Husain, reacting to the video, said, “This clip reminds us system won’t be reformed till bureaucracy is reformed”.
“The current bureaucratic structure is a relic of the past and must be thoroughly changed,” he wrote.
Published in Dawn, August 17th, 2026