BANNU: Chief Minister Sohail Khan Afridi here on Sunday announced the launch of a street movement from Bannu, saying that on September 27, a ‘sea of people’ from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa would march towards Adiala Jail under his leadership.
He was addressing workers of Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf at a reception camps set up in Bannu by MNA Maulana Syed Naseem Ali Shah, PTI district president Haji Malik Gulbaz Khan, MPA Malik Pakhtunyar Khan, Junaid Rashid, Iqbal Jadoon, Malik Adnan Khan and Sikandar Hayat Khan.
He said that their sit-in would continue until their demands were accepted and tangible results achieved. He said movements launched from Bannu had historically succeeded that’s why the street movement was being initiated from the district.
Mr Afridi said that youth were going to change both the history and destiny of Pakistan.
Says ‘sea of people’ will march towards Adiala Jail on Sept 27
He claimed that Imran Khan and Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) had become deeply embedded among the younger generation.
He added that those attempting to push them against the wall should understand that they were mistaken.
He said that Khyber Pakhtunkhwa enjoyed peace and prosperity when PTI was in power at Centre in 2018.
However, he alleged, the situation deteriorated after the ‘regime change’ in 2022.
He said that after the regime change, the province was deliberately pushed towards terrorism.
The chief minister said that the first and most severe impact of terrorism during the tenure of the current federal government was felt in the southern districts of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, particularly Bannu.
He alleged that the incumbent federal rulers and the elements, who brought them into power, were responsible for the destruction of peace in the region.
He said that Khyber Pakhtunkhwa had been subjected to continuous experiments for the past 22 years, adversely affecting its economy and law and order.
Mr Afridi said that decisions were being made behind closed doors and the people of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa were made ‘scapegoat’.
He alleged that the elite considered ordinary citizens insignificant.
However, he claimed that situation had now changed as the province was being governed by a government of workers that would stand firm against the decisions detrimental to people.
The chief minister said that provincial government would refuse to accept any decision contrary to the interests of people and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
He added that the people of the province could no longer be ignored and every constitutional and democratic mean would be used to secure their rights.
Regarding the closure of roads in Bannu, he said that roads were meant to facilitate movement of people, transportation and business, not to protect any institution.
He said that if the roads had been closed by the security forces, he would personally speak to the corps commander.
However, if the roads had been closed by the civil administration, he ordered that those should be reopened before his arrival in Peshawar.
Mr Afridi reiterated that the movement, launched with the support of youth and people, would continue until its objectives were achieved.
He said that a large number of people from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa would march towards Adiala Jail under his leadership on September 27.
Published in Dawn, August 17th, 2026