SARAJEVO: Remains believed to account for more than 130 victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre have been exhumed from a mass grave in eastern Bosnia, a forensic expert said on Thursday.
“We have just completed the exhumation of the grave” that was discovered earlier this month, Murat Hurtic of Bosnia's Missing Persons Commission said.
Twenty nine complete and 102 incomplete skeletons have been exhumed from the grave in the village of Budak outside Srebrenica, Hurtic said. He added that bullets and some personal documents were also uncovered.
The skeletons were crushed, indicating that they had originally been located elsewhere before being reburied at the site by bulldozers.
Most victims of the Srebrenica massacre had been buried in a large mass grave and later moved to many other sites in an attempt by Bosnian Serbs to cover up the crime.
The reburials have made the identification process difficult since remains of a single person are often found in two or three places.
Bosnian Serbs overran the UN-protected eastern Muslim enclave of Srebrenica near the end of the war before summarily killing around 8,000 Muslim men and boys within a few days.—AFP