Fire erupts in Karachi building

Published May 31, 2007

KARACHI, May 30: A big fire broke out at a commercial-cum-residential complex off M.A Jinnah Road on Wednesday night. No one was injured in the incident.

An official of the fire department said fire at a shop on the ground floor caused the incident. As most shops in the complex deal in chemicals and foam, the fire spread rapidly.

Fire tenders from all stations in the city rushed to the scene.

Residents of the apartment said the fire had affected all four blocks of the complex.

A large number of residents vacated their apartments and took shelter in a park as noxious fumes caused suffocation.

Power supply was disconnected to the buildings soon after the fire broke out.

“So far we have managed to contain the fire to the shops,” said a fire officer. He attributed the fire to short circuit.

A number of officials of the town administration were present during the fire-fighting operation.

Opinion

Editorial

Cipher inquiry
Updated 04 Oct, 2022

Cipher inquiry

Inquiry will likely end nowhere, or, worse, be used as a tool of victimisation.
Further delay?
04 Oct, 2022

Further delay?

KARACHI Administrator Murtaza Wahab’s announcement that the second phase of Sindh’s LG polls — primarily...
Losing to England
04 Oct, 2022

Losing to England

AFTER tantalisingly close finishes in the fourth and fifth matches against an England side visiting the country for...
An inexplicable delay
03 Oct, 2022

An inexplicable delay

AFTER a flurry of activity a couple of months ago, geared towards filling the vacancies in the apex court — an...
Dire situation
Updated 03 Oct, 2022

Dire situation

If there is any time for the civilian leadership to show unity, it is now.
Russian annexation
03 Oct, 2022

Russian annexation

AS Russia and the West play a zero-sum game in Ukraine, Moscow’s official annexation of four Ukrainian regions it...