KARACHI, May 30: A big fire broke out at a commercial-cum-residential complex off M.A Jinnah Road on Wednesday night. No one was injured in the incident.
An official of the fire department said fire at a shop on the ground floor caused the incident. As most shops in the complex deal in chemicals and foam, the fire spread rapidly.
Fire tenders from all stations in the city rushed to the scene.
Residents of the apartment said the fire had affected all four blocks of the complex.
A large number of residents vacated their apartments and took shelter in a park as noxious fumes caused suffocation.
Power supply was disconnected to the buildings soon after the fire broke out.
“So far we have managed to contain the fire to the shops,” said a fire officer. He attributed the fire to short circuit.
A number of officials of the town administration were present during the fire-fighting operation.