Records of charges against US Capitol rioters removed

Published May 24, 2026 Updated May 24, 2026 08:37am
Pro-Trump protesters wave American flags after breaching the Capitol barricades during a rally to contest the certification of the 2020 US presidential election results by the Congress, at the US Capitol Building in Washington on January 6, 2021. — Reuters
Pro-Trump protesters wave American flags after breaching the Capitol barricades during a rally to contest the certification of the 2020 US presidential election results by the Congress, at the US Capitol Building in Washington on January 6, 2021. — Reuters

• Thousands of Trump supporters stormed building in 2021 during certification of Biden’s victory
• Over 1,500 people were charged after riot
• Justice Dept says press releases deleted from website

WASHINGTON: The US Justice Department has removed from its website hundreds of press releases detailing criminal charges brought against individuals involved in the Jan 6, 2021 attack on the US Congress, according to media reports.

The Jan 6 attack happened after Donald Trump lost the 2020 presidential election to Joe Biden. Trump repeatedly claimed that the election was stolen from him.

Thousands of Trump supporters marched to the Capitol building while Congress was meeting to officially confirm Biden’s victory. Rioters broke through police barriers, smashed windows and entered the building. Lawmakers were forced to hide or flee. Several people died and many police officers were injured.

After the attack, the Justice Department carried out one of the biggest investigations in US history. More than 1,500 people were charged with crimes. Hundreds were sent to prison.

On Friday, the Justice Department confirmed that many press releases about those cases had been removed from its website. “Nothing ‘quiet’ about it,” the department’s Rapid Response account said on X. “We are proud to reverse the DOJ’s weaponisation under the Biden administration,” the post added. It also said the department wanted to remove what it called “partisan propaganda” from the website.

The statement came after Washington Post reporter Meryl Kornfield said the Trump administration was quietly deleting information about the Capitol attack.

NBC News later reported that most Jan 6-related press rele­ases had disappeared from the Justice Department website.

Since returning to office this year, President Trump has taken several steps related to the Jan 6 cases. On his first day back in the White House, he gave pardons to many people charged over the riot. His administration also removed several Justice Department officials and FBI agents linked to the investigation.

This week, the Justice Department announced a new $1.8 billion “anti-weaponisation” fund. The money is meant for people who say they were unfairly targeted for political reasons.

Published in Dawn, May 24th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...