ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office said on Friday that the US-Iran war was expected to come up during discussions between Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and the Chinese leadership during the premier’s official visit to China from Saturday (today) to May 26.
At his weekly briefing, FO spokesperson Tahir Andrabi noted that the issue would be discussed even though the primary objective of the visit remained bilateral.
“Pakistan and China have maintained close coordination on the standoff in the Middle East and our peace efforts in this regard,” Mr Andrabi said, recalling Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar’s visit to China last month.
“We agreed on a five-point principle, which was issued as a joint statement. So, yes, this issue will be discussed during the prime minister’s visit,” he added.
FO spox terms India’s rejection of arbitration award on Indus treaty of ‘no legal value’, says move belies its bid to secure permanent UNSC seat
Elaborating on the visit, Mr Andrabi said PM Shehbaz was undertaking the tour at the invitation of China.
He added that the premier’s visit assumed special significance as the two countries were also commemorating the 75th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties.
“The visit will provide an opportunity to reaffirm the abiding strength of the Pakistan-China all-weather strategic partnership and advance a shared vision of building an even closer Pakistan-China community with a shared future,” he said.
Mr Andrabi said that during the visit, the premier would hold meetings with the Chinese leadership, including President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Li Qiang.
“The two sides will review bilateral relations and cooperation in political, economic and strategic domains,” he said.
The FO spokesperson stated that the premier would begin his visit from the Chinese city of Hangzhou in Zhejiang province. There, the PM will chair the Pakistan-China Business-to-Business Investment Conference, focusing on information technology, telecom, energy, energy storage and agriculture sectors.
In Beijing, PM Shehbaz will attend a reception hosted by the Chinese People’s Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries to commemorate the 75th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the two nations.
‘No political or legal value’
The FO spokesperson said that violation of the Indus Waters Treaty (IWT) would damage India’s bid to secure a permanent seat at the United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
He noted that violating the treaty or the UN Law of Treaties would be a serious breach of international law, damaging both legal standing and reputation.
He added that despite India’s ambitions for a larger global role and a permanent UNSC seat, its disregard for signed treaties could politically and legally harm its future standing.
Mr Andrabi said India’s rejection of a May 15 supplemental award by the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) over the IWT held “no political or legal value”.
“Pakistan rejects this legally untenable attempt to dismiss the PCA’s supplemental award,” he said, adding that the mechanism was constituted under the IWT and its awards were “final and binding”.
He stressed that India’s “refusal to participate cannot invalidate lawful proceedings”.
“India’s claim to hold the IWT in abeyance is equally without legal basis, and the treaty remains in force,” he said.
Mr Andrabi also called on the international community and the US to take note of the continued human rights abuses in India-held Kashmir.
In this regard, Mr Andrabi urged the international community to “hold India accountable and ensure a just solution”.
He also expressed concern over the “continued politically motivated questionable cases” against Kashmiri leaders.
Published in Dawn, May 23rd, 2026































