Lebanese civilians head home despite Israeli warning

Published April 18, 2026
DISPLACED residents drive along a highway in a bid to rush back to their homes, in Rmeileh at the northern entrance of the Lebanese city of Sidon.—AFP
DISPLACED residents drive along a highway in a bid to rush back to their homes, in Rmeileh at the northern entrance of the Lebanese city of Sidon.—AFP

• Roads from Beirut to southern Lebanon clogged with traffic
• Hezbollah warns Israel against truce violations

BEIRUT: Thousands of displaced Lebanese civilians took to the road on Friday, hoping a 10-day ceasefire with Israel would allow them to return to their homes in southern Beirut and the country’s war-torn south.

Roads heading south from the capital were clogged with traffic, despite Israel’s defence minister warning that its operation against Hezbollah was not yet complete and that civilians may have to evacuate once again.

Minutes before the ceasefire came into effect at midnight, a series of Israeli strikes in the southern city of Tyre killed at least 13 people and destroyed six residential buildings, a city official said.

For some returnees, the short, temporary truce between Israel and the Lebanese government, brokered under pressure from US President Donald Trump, was a new source of hope.

“Our feelings are indescribable, pride and victory,” 37-year-old Amani Atrash told AFP from her car seat on a road leading to a bridge into southern Lebanon, adding that she hoped the truce would be extended.

‘Security zone’

Under the terms of the ceasefire, Israel reserves the right to continue targeting Hezbollah to prevent “planned, imminent, or ongoing attacks”, and it says it will maintain a 10km security zone along the border in southern Lebanon.

Israeli defence minister Israel Katz said the area stretching from this security zone north to the Litani River had not yet been “cleared of terrorists and weapons” and that if diplomatic pressure did not achieve that goal, then military action could resume.

“If the fighting resumes, those residents who return to the security zone will have to be evacuated to allow completion of the mission,” he said.

According to details of the truce deal released by the US State Department, Lebanon “with international support... will take meaningful steps to prevent Hezbollah” from undertaking hostile acts against Israeli targets.

Lebanon’s President Jospeh Aoun, who had been resisting US pressure to talk directly to Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu before the ceasefire was in place, said nonetheless that direct negotiations with Israel were “crucial”.

Beirut’s goal, he said in a statement, was to “consolidate a ceasefire, secure the withdrawal of Israeli forces from the occupied southern territories, recover prisoners, and address outstanding border disputes”.

Hezbollah, meanwhile, said its finger remains “on the trigger” in the event of any Israeli violations.

Despite the warnings against returning to the south, long queues of displaced families began traversing the bomb-damaged Qasmiyeh bridge near the southern city of Tyre on Friday after bulldozers restored the crossing so they could head home, according to AFP journalists.

Across the border in Israel, the military’s home front command had not yet removed restrictions on civilian movements in vulnerable border areas.

Still, some civilians there were daring to hope for a return to a more normal life.

“I’ve got a three-year-old girl and a two-month-old baby, and the whole time we’ve just not left the house because you never know when there’ll be a rocket attack,” said 31-year-old Ofir Ben-Ari.

“It’s been crazy, but I think things will be quiet now and I’ll be able to take my daughter to the park,” she added.

‘Historic’ opportunity

The ceasefire represents a key step in Washington’s efforts to reach a deal to end its war with Iran, after Tehran insisted that halting the Lebanon fighting must be part of any agreement.

Pakistan has been leading a diplomatic push to restart face-to-face talks between Tehran and Washington, and Trump said they were “very close” to striking an agreement.

Trump said he had spoken to both Netanyahu and Aoun ahead of the truce, which he said they had agreed “in order to achieve PEACE between their Countries”.

He later said he expected Netanyahu and Aoun to visit the White House in the coming days.

Netanyahu said the ceasefire with Lebanon offered an opportunity for a “historic peace agreement” with Beirut – but insisted that the disarmament of Hezbollah remained a precondition.

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam welcomed Trump’s announcement, saying a truce was a “key Lebanese demand that we have pursued since the very first day of the war”.

Published in Dawn, April 18th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...