MUZAFFARABAD: Dozens of residents have begun relocating from a village on the outskirts of Muzaffarabad after land subsidence and landslide activity intensified, prompting authorities to order immediate evacuation and initiate relief and risk assessment measures.
The situation came to light on Friday during an emergency visit by State Disaster Management Authority’s (SDMA) Director General Saeed Qureshi to village Mineeri in Ambor, located about 3.5 kilometres from the city.
The DG was accompanied by Director Administration Nauman Shafiq and Rescue 1122 Control Room In-charge Ahsan Aziz, who reviewed the situation on-site and received briefings from field staff.
Local residents informed the authorities that land subsidence had begun around eight months ago but had worsened significantly following recent heavy rains, posing serious threats to life, property and livestock.
Initial estimates suggested that 17 houses, home to some 100 people and their livestock, were affected, while a local graveyard had also come under threat due to shifting land.
In view of the worsening conditions, Mr Qureshi advised residents to immediately vacate high-risk zones and directed his team to ensure prompt assistance to affected families, stressing strict adherence to safety measures.
On his return, Mr Qureshi told Dawn that most affected families had temporarily shifted to the homes of relatives as a precautionary measure.
He said the SDMA had started providing relief assistance, including tents, tarpaulins, bedding, kitchen sets and food packages, to meet the immediate needs of displaced families, adding that coordination with the district administration and other relevant authorities was under way to identify safer alternate locations.
Rescue 1122 teams had been placed on alert, while the SDMA continued to monitor the situation closely, he added.
Mr Qureshi said the SDMA had formally approached relevant geological experts to carry out technical investigations into slope stability and recommend measures for risk mitigation.
“Based on their findings, we will devise long-term strategies, including stabilisation works and, if necessary, permanent relocation of affected households,” he said.
The SDMA chief reaffirmed that all available resources would be utilised to ensure the safety and rehabilitation of the affected population. He also urged the public to avoid unnecessary movement in the affected area and strictly follow safety advisories to prevent any potential loss of life.
According to the SDMA, three deaths have been reported in Azad Jammu and Kashmir since March 25, when the current spell of rains began. In addition, nine houses were destroyed, 10 partially damaged, and eight heads of cattle perished in rain-related incidents.
Officials said five houses near Zero Point and one in Mera Tanolian in Muzaffarabad were also under potential threat from landslides.
Published in Dawn, April 5th, 2026
































