UK government was hacked in October, minister confirms

Published December 19, 2025
Union Jack flags flutter in the wind near Big Ben at Parliament Square in London, Britain, August 27, 2024. — Reuters
Union Jack flags flutter in the wind near Big Ben at Parliament Square in London, Britain, August 27, 2024. — Reuters

British trade department minister Chris Bryant said the government had been hacked in October, partly confirming a report in The Sun newspaper, which said a Chinese group had breached systems to access Foreign Office data.

“There certainly has been a hack,” Bryant told Times Radio on Friday.

“I’m not able to say whether it is directly related to Chinese operatives, or indeed, the Chinese state,” he added.

The Sun named Storm 1849 as the Chinese cyber gang responsible for the breach, which it said was understood to possibly include tens of thousands of visa details.

Bryant said that the reporting around the incident was “speculation” and that the government was continuing to investigate, but at this stage it was “fairly confident” that there was a low risk any individual would be affected.

“We managed to close the hole, as it were, very quickly,” Bryant told Sky News, describing the breach. “It was a technical issue in one of our sites.”

The Sun newspaper said the group, Storm 1849, was a China-linked gang which was part of a state-aligned hacking apparatus, and which has been accused of targeting politicians and groups critical of the Chinese government.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said earlier in December that China posed “national security threats” to Britain, but defended his government’s decision to step up engagement with the country.

He is due to visit Beijing in late January, according to sources.

The incident at the Foreign Office follows two major cyber attacks on big British companies this year.

Hacks forced the country’s largest car maker, Jaguar Land Rover, to shut down production for five weeks, while retailer Marks & Spencer suspended online orders for six weeks.

Asked for details of the incident, the foreign office said that it had been working to investigate a cyber incident.

“We take the security of our systems and data extremely seriously,” a government spokesperson said.

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...