Louvre director admits ‘insufficient’ camera coverage

Published October 23, 2025
President of the Louvre Museum Laurence des Cars looks on prior to the start of a hearing before the Senate’s culture committee at the French Senate in Paris on October 22, 2025. — AFP
President of the Louvre Museum Laurence des Cars looks on prior to the start of a hearing before the Senate’s culture committee at the French Senate in Paris on October 22, 2025. — AFP

PARIS: The director of the Louvre on Wednesday admitted there was inadequate security camera coverage of the outside walls of the museum, three days after a brazen daytime heist stunned the French capital.

Senators grilled Laurence des Cars over how thieves were able to make off with an estimated 88 million euros ($102 million) in jewels from the world-famous museum in just seven minutes. The heist has renewed scrutiny of security at French museums.

“Despite our efforts, despite our hard work on a daily basis, we failed,” des Cars told lawmakers in her first public statement since Sunday.

Des Cars said all alarms had functioned during the burglary, but admitted that security cameras did not adequately cover the thieves’ point of entry. “The only camera installed is directed westward and therefore did not cover the balcony involved in the break-in,” she said. “There are some perimeter cameras, but they are ageing,” she conceded.

Surveillance of the museum’s outside walls “is highly insufficient”. But she defended the museum’s 80-million-euro security plan, disputing a recent report that cited “persistent delays” in putting it into effect.

Earlier on Wednesday, French President Emmanuel Macron ordered “speeding up” security measures at the Louvre, after the Paris museum reopened its doors to tourists.

Des Cars said she had tendered her resignation on Sunday after the theft, but that the culture ministry had refused it. Museum-goers flocked to the institution for the 9am opening, though the Apollo Gallery — scene of Sunday’s theft — remained closed.

The thieves made off with eight pieces, including an emerald-and-diamond necklace that Napoleon I gave his wife, Empress Marie-Louise, and a diadem that once belonged to the Empress Eugenie, which is dotted with nearly 2,000 diamonds.

The investigation “is progressing”, Interior Minister Laurent Nunez told local media on Wednesday, saying “more than 100 investigators” had been mobilised.

Published in Dawn, October 23rd, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...
Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...