Akhtar Mengal barred from travelling abroad, offloaded from plane

Published
0
ACCORDING to Sardar Akhtar Mengal, this is the second time in over two decades his name has appeared on a no-fly list.—X / sakhtarmengal
ACCORDING to Sardar Akhtar Mengal, this is the second time in over two decades his name has appeared on a no-fly list.—X / sakhtarmengal

QUETTA: Balochistan National Party President Sardar Akhtar Mengal was barred from travelling abroad and offloaded on Sunday from a Dubai-bound plane at Quetta airport.

Immigration officials at the Quetta airport info­rmed Mr Mengal that his name has been placed in the Provisional National Identification List (PNIL), a temporary travel ban to stop people from going abroad.

After the incident, Mr Mengal issued a statement on social media platform X (formerly Twitter), saying he has been stopped from travelling abroad without prior notice or any explanation.

“Today I was stopped at Quetta Airport from flying to Dubai. Airport officials informed me that my name is on the PNIL. This decision was made without my knowledge and without any clear reason,” Mr Mengal wrote on X.

A BNP spokesperson condemned the move, calling it another example of political victimisation and an attack on democratic values.

The spokesman demanded that Mr Mengal’s name be immediately removed from the list and those responsible for the decision be held accountable.

No official reason has been given by the government so far for placing Mr Mengal’s name on PNIL.

BNP’s central information secretary, Agha Hassan Baloch, also condemned the travel restriction placed on the BNP president and termed the government move unconstitutional and politically motivated.

He said the action of the government was a clear violation of Mr Mengal’s constitutional right to freedom of movement and an attempt to suppress fundamental human rights.

“We demand an immediate explanation from authorities concerned. Such repressive tactics are unacceptable in a democratic setup. Political dissent and public representation must not be criminalised,” Mr Hassan said.

Sana Baloch, another BNP leader, said: “We demand a prompt explanation from authorities concerned and immediate removal of Sardar Akhtar Mengal’s name from the PNIL. These authoritarian measures are unacceptable. Targeting political opposition and elected representatives is incompatible with constitutional democracy.”

Published in Dawn, July 21st, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

Work in progress
Updated 17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
Unfit supplies
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
Israel’s war on life
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Balochistan’s wounds
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
Tax scheme
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
In choppy waters
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...