ZURICH: FIFA has opened an investigation into the postponement of Argentina’s World Cup qualifier with Brazil with its president Gianni Infantino labelling the events “crazy”.
The match at Sao Paulo’s Neo Quimica Arena on Sunday was halted when Brazilian health officials ran onto the pitch seven minutes after kick-off, triggering a melee involving team officials and players from both sides.
The officials intervened just hours after health authorities in Brazil said four England-based players in Argentina’s squad should be placed in “immediate quarantine” for breaching Covid-19 protocols.
FIFA said they have received reports from match officials and were gathering further information.
“The information will be analysed by the competent disciplinary bodies and a decision will be taken in due course,” FIFA said in a statement.
Infantino, in a video address to the European Club Association’s general assembly, said the situation was a reminder of the difficulties the organisation had been facing during the pandemic.
“We saw what happened with the game between Brazil and Argentine, two of South America’s most glorious teams. Some officials, police, security officials entered the pitch after a few minutes of the game to take away some players — it is crazy but we need to deal with these challenges, these issues which come on top of the Covid crisis,” Infantino said.
Published in Dawn, September 7th, 2021