Propaganda against Taliban proving false, says Qureshi
MULTAN: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has said the propaganda by Ashraf Ghani’s ousted government against the Taliban has proved false as the insurgents have announced general amnesty and are not barring girls’ education.
Addressing Hussainia Conference and talking to the media here on Wednesday, he said: “There was a fear that the Taliban would impose a ban on the education of girls, but it has not been happening. The Taliban announced a general amnesty and they are opening the schools and businesses. They also announced that they would not take revenge and all the measures taken by them so far were peaceful which is welcoming.”
The foreign minister said a false trend against Pakistan was started on social media which also failed along with the blame game against Pakistan.
“Entire world knows there was a corrupt setup and system in Afghanistan,” he added.
He said peace, stability and normality in Afghanistan was a priority for Pakistan.
“We want that there should be peace in Afghanistan, bazaars should remain open there and Afghanistan should move towards a normal life,” he said.
He said the world was contacting Pakistan for resolution of the Afghanistan issue, considering it a responsible country.
“I have talked to the foreign ministers of China, the United States and the United Kingdom. China discussed its priorities in connection with Afghanistan, while I also briefed [the Chinese] that how Pakistan was being affected by the prevailing situation in Afghanistan,” he said.
Mr Qureshi said on the direction of Prime Minister Imran khan he was going to visit Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Azerbaijan and Iran after Ashura.
“I will discuss the prevailing situation in Afghanistan with its neighbouring countries and consult them for a peaceful and permanent solution to the Afghan issue, besides taking them into confidence. We want a set-up [in Afghanistan] which should be acceptable to the world,” he said.
Answering a question regarding not allowing Pakistan to attend the meeting of the United Nations Security Council, the foreign minister said India showed shortsightedness by denying Pakistan [an oppertunity] to attend the meeting, adding if Pakistan [stance] was heard there, it would have been better for all.
Replying to a question regarding the possible arrival of Afghan refugees in Pakistan, he said that Pakistan was already hosting three million Afghan refugees, while it had also made a comprehensive plan for them while keeping in view the prevailing situation, adding that there was no pressure on Chaman and Torkham borders.
Regarding the evacuation from Kabul airport, he said people wanted to leave Afghanistan, but after announcement of general amnesty by the Taliban there was no need for any evacuation.
He said the Pakistan Embassy in Kabul was issuing transit visas to the foreigners in Afghanistan.
He said the entire region was passing through a critical time, adding that some foreign forces were busy hatching conspiracies against Pakistan.
“Efforts are underway to divide the nation systematically by hurting the feelings of people and creating unrest through a planned conspiracy, but we have to unveil these forces. As many as 750 websites have been unearthed which are busy creating internal unrest,” he said.
He said a hybrid war was underway and social media was being used as a weapon to spread fake news and negative propaganda.
“Especially, such posts are being uploaded which are hurting the feelings of the people,” he said.
Published in Dawn, August 19th, 2021