LAHORE: The chief minister has directed the line departments to undertake advance measures to counter the possible locust attack in mid-June and July.

He directed the agriculture department and the PDMA to closely monitor the situation and further directed to ascertain the cost of damage being incurred to the crops due to locust attack. He said funds of Rs1 billion had been released to eradicate locusts and save standing crops in fields across the province.

Besides conducting aerial spray, he said, spray was also being conducted through vehicles to save the fields. Spray had been conducted on more than 756,000 acres so far, he said.

The chief minister said control rooms had been set up at divisional and district levels and the present situation was also being monitored round-the-clock. Mr Buzdar assured that all possible resources were being utilised to save farmers from losses.

The chief minister said the nation had clearly come to know those elements enjoying the London excursion – a clear reference to Nawaz Sharif who has been spotted at a roadside café in London.

In a statement issued here on Sunday, the chief minister observed that such elements always proceeded abroad by deserting their people in time of need. “The masses have fully recognised their dual faces now,” he said.

Mr Buzdar said the opposition parties were carrying forward their agenda of saving themselves instead of becoming helpful in eradicating coronavirus. He lamented that opposition parties’ leaders had shown their apathy and proved their lack of concern by politicising an all-important national issue like coronavirus.

He condemned the opposition parties for indulging in point-scoring on an important national issue like coronavirus. “It is high time to shun politics and stand by the distressed and grieved humanity,” he stressed.

Meanwhile, Mr Buzdar has urged the masses to change their lifestyles in order to save themselves from coronavirus.

“We can save ourselves from coronavirus by bringing about changes in our social behaviour,” he said.

In a statement here on Sunday, Mr Buzdar advised the masses to cover their faces and nose while going out of their houses. He emphasised that by covering face and nose, people will not only keep themselves safe but save their families from this contagious disease.

He said the government was working on a permanent basis so as to save the masses from the hazards of coronavirus. He underscored that precaution was essential for a healthy life. He appealed to the masses to ensure adopting preventive measures in order to save themselves from coronavirus.

He said people could save their children and parents by wearing masks.

TIGER FORCE: Special Assistant to the Prime Minister for Youth Affairs Usman Dar says over 600,000 volunteers of Tiger Force are performing duties at quarantine centres, field hospitals, mosques and other places to implement SOPs regarding coronavirus, besides assisting the administrations in price control and their performance is yielding positive results across the province.

Speaking at a meeting at Chief Secretary’s Camp Office, Mr Dar said the scope of services of volunteers was being widened as the establishment of Tiger Force helped strengthen the link between people and the administration.

The chief secretary directed the officers that the Tiger Force was a useful human resource and their services should be utilised in the best possible manner. The administrative officers briefed the meeting about the performance and usefulness of the Tiger Force in their respective areas.

Published in Dawn, June 1st, 2020