FIRE tenders arrive to put out the fire that erupted in Burhan Centre, near Regal Chowk, on Thursday.—Online
FIRE tenders arrive to put out the fire that erupted in Burhan Centre, near Regal Chowk, on Thursday.—Online

KARACHI: A fire broke out in a godown situated in an old building in the busy Saddar area on Thursday afternoon, according to officials.

They added that the blaze erupted in the godown located on the third floor of a building at Regal Chowk and destroyed goods.

Fire Brigade officials said they received information about the incident at around 2.42pm. After hectic efforts, three fire tenders and one snorkel managed to control the fire lasting for over three hours. However, cooling work continued till night, he said.

The cause of the fire and estimation of loss could not be made immediately.

Preedy SHO Rana Amjad Anwar said loudspeakers were kept at the godown in a flat, which were destroyed. The owner told the police that they were estimating the financial loss.

The officer said that one family residing in the building was rescued as they faced breathing problems. He revealed that mostly the godowns were used for electronic items.

Published in Dawn, December 6th, 2019