QUETTA: A Rapid Response Force (RRG) sniper was martyred and 10 others — five security personnel and as many civilians — were injured in a bomb blast that rocked the busy Double Road area on Tuesday evening.
Many nearby shops and cars parked at the spot caught fire and were ultimately gutted.
Police officials said that the target of the remote-controlled bomb blast was an RRG vehicle on routine patrol. “Unidentified people had planted explosives in a motorcycle and parked it in front of the carpet shops. They detonated the explosives with remote control when the RRG patrol reached there.
“Eleven people, including six security personnel, were injured in the powerful blast and one of them — a head constable of RRG — succumbed to his multiple injuries in hospital,” said Deputy Inspector General of Quetta police Abdul Razzaq Cheema during his visit to the site after the blast.
The injured were taken to the Civil Hospital Quetta where they were admitted to the Trauma Centre.
The RRG personnel who lost his life was identified as Khalil Ahmed who was on ‘sniper duty’ in the vehicle attacked.
“Around 8kg explosive has been used in the blast,” DIG Cheema said, adding that amid a threat alert police had already made security arrangements in the capital of Balochistan.
Police and Frontier Corps personnel rushed to the site and cordoned off the area.
No one has claimed responsibility of the blast so far.
Balochistan Governor retired Justice Amanullah Yasinzai, Chief Minister Jam Kamal Alyani and Home Minister Zia Langove have condemned the attack on security forces, saying that the forces and the government are making all-out efforts to protect people of the province.
The home minister while visiting the blast site expressed grief over the martyrdom of the soldier and injuries to others, saying: “Balochistan has completely been purged out of terrorism, but coward enemies continue to launch [minor] attack our forces.”
Published in Dawn, October 16th, 2019