KARACHI: A young man died because of Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as the brain-eating amoeba, at a private hospital in the city on Sunday, officials said.
They said Shoaib Ahmed, 34, was admitted to the private hospital a couple of days ago in a precarious condition. He died on Sunday. He was a resident of Liaquatabad.
The hospital confirmed that he was diagnosed with the lethal infection.
He was the third victim of Naegleria fowleri in Sindh this year. All three cases have been reported from Karachi. The officials said further investigation was under way.
Published in Dawn, May 20th, 2019