Beckham handed driving ban for using phone at the wheel

Published May 9, 2019
Former England international footballer David Beckham arrives at Bromley Magistrates Court in Bromley, south-east of London, where his case of driving whilst using a mobile phone was held on May 9. — AFP
Former England international footballer David Beckham arrives at Bromley Magistrates Court in Bromley, south-east of London, where his case of driving whilst using a mobile phone was held on May 9. — AFP

Former England footballer David Beckham was on Thursday disqualified from driving for six months after using his phone while behind the wheel.

The 44-year-old had previously admitted the offence after being spotted by a member of the public as he drove his Bentley in London on November 21.

At Bromley Magistrates Court, south of London, Beckham was given six penalty points on his licence, fined £750 (868 euros, $975), and ordered to pay £100 to prosecution costs and a £75 surcharge fee.

District Judge Catherine Moore said he already had six points on his licence for previous speeding matters, meaning he reached the 12-point limit which triggers a disqualification.

The ex-Manchester United and Real Madrid player was present in court.

Wearing a dark grey suit and tie, he spoke to give his full name, date of birth and address.

Prosecuting lawyer Matthew Spratt said he had been photographed by a member of the public as he held his phone while driving in “slowly moving traffic”.

Defence lawyer Gerrard Tyrrell said Beckham was travelling slowly and has “no recollection of the day in question or this particular incident”.

He added: “There is no excuse for what took place but his view is as he cannot remember ... he's going to plead guilty and that's what he's done.”

Last year, Beckham drew criticism after avoiding a charge of speeding because of a technicality.

He accepted he drove at 59 miles (95 kilometres) per hour in a 40 mph zone in London in January 2018. But the notice of his prosecution was not received until one day after the statutory 14-day time limit.

Opinion

Editorial

Emergency rumours
21 Jan, 2022

Emergency rumours

ISLAMABAD is once again in the grip of rumours. The latest issue finding traction revolves around a mysterious...
TTP attack
Updated 21 Jan, 2022

TTP attack

MONDAY night’s assault on a police party in Islamabad, which left one cop dead and two injured, marks a ...
21 Jan, 2022

Murree suspensions

ON Wednesday, the Met Office issued a red alert for more heavy snowfall in Murree over the coming weekend, and...
20 Jan, 2022

Too great a divide

THE government’s offer of talks to the opposition on electoral and judicial reforms is a welcome development in a...
Military inductees
Updated 20 Jan, 2022

Military inductees

Giving preference to military personnel for appointments in civilian roles is exposing them to unnecessary controversy.
20 Jan, 2022

Suu Kyi charges

MYANMAR’S ruling junta seems determined to spin a complicated legal web around Aung San Suu Kyi to ensure that the...