MANSEHRA: District police officer of Kolai-Palas Iftikhar Khan has revealed that two of the five people believed to have been killed in the 2012 Kohistan honour-killing incident are reportedly alive.
“The bodies of three women killed after the marriage function video involving them went viral on the social media were thrown in Chaur Nullah by the suspects to hide their crime,” he told reporters here on Monday.
The DPO said the four suspects arrested by the police last week had not only confessed to the killings but also revealed that two of the five women believed to have been killed in the name of honour were alive.
The DPO said the police were raiding possible hideouts of eight other suspects.
“We expect the absconders’ arrest in few weeks,” he said.
He said the police had seized a rifle used in the honour killing incident.
“We expect that two women, who are reportedly alive, will be produced before the police within few days,” he said.
The Supreme Court had taken a suo motu notice after five women were allegedly killed by their family members over the surfacing of a video, which showed them cheer male dances during a marriage function in May 2012.
District and sessions judge Shafeeullah had handed over the arrested suspects, including Umar Khan, Maulana Habibur Rehman, Sameer and Sabeer, to the police after their arrest on the order of the apex court.
In its ruling on a petition filed by Afzal Kohistani, whose brother was seen dance in the video and was later killed, the Supreme Court had asked the police to first investigate and then arrest all those suspected of being involved in the heinous crime.
Published in Dawn, December 4th, 2018