LAHORE: A sessions court on Friday withdrew arrest warrants for former test cricketer Sarfraz Nawaz earlier issued for not appearing or responding to notices on a Rs100 million defamation suit filed by Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Najam Sethi.
Nawaz’s counsel Agha Usama Ahmad, through a written application, told the court that his client could not appear before the court as he was abroad. He said the absence of his client was not willful.
The counsel said Nawaz was ready to appear before the court on his return to the country. He asked the court to cancel the arrest warrants earlier issued against his client.
Additional District and Sessions Judge Anjum Mumtaz Malik allowed the application and cancelled the warrants.
The judge directed the counsel to submit a reply to the defamation suit by April 28.
Mr Sethi had filed the suit three years ago when he was PCB executive committee’s chairman. His counsel pleaded that former cricketer Sarfraz Nawaz had been using derogatory remarks against the PCB and Mr Sethi.
He said the PCB served legal notices on the defendant asking him to stop using abusive and derogatory remarks against the board and its officials following an apology. However, he said the defendant ignored the notices and continued his unethical utterances against the board and plaintiff in the media.
Published in Dawn, March 31st, 2018