Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience


KARACHI: Two women among 11 persons received burn injuries when a fire broke out at a fuel station apparently due to gas leakage in the SITE area on Wednesday, officials said.

The gas pipeline of the CNG station near the Faiz-ur-Rehman Hospital in SITE was damaged when a KMC garbage collection vehicle hit it, said Karachi West SSP Mohammed Younus Chandio.

It caused gas leakage, which triggered a fire, resulting in burn injuries to 11 persons, added the officer.

Mr Chandio claimed that SITE-A SHO Sabir Khan asked the authorities concerned to close the supply of gas as it had engulfed the whole area, but it took over half an hour for the gas authorities to close it. In the meantime, the fire had spread, which caused injuries to many people. They were shifted to different hospitals, where their condition was stated to be out of danger.

Two rickshaws were also damaged in the fire.

Published in Dawn, December 14th, 2017