Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Pakistan on Thursday summoned Indian Deputy High Commissioner JP Singh to lodge a protest over the death of a civilian due to firing across the Line of Control (LoC) a day earlier, and demanded an investigation into the incident.

Indian forces violated the ceasefire along the LoC twice on Wednesday, resulting in the death of one civilian Abdul Rehman, 28, and injuries to 12 others, including women and children, the FO said.

Read more: One villager killed, five injured due to 'unprovoked' firing by Indian army across LoC

The Indian deputy high commissioner was summoned by the FO's director general (South Asia and Saarc), and "a strong protest was lodged against the unprovoked ceasefire violations on 19-20 Oct, 2016, by the Indian occupation forces at the LoC in Karela sector," the FO said.

"It was conveyed that the Indian side must investigate the incident and share the findings with Pakistan. India must instruct its troops to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit, refrain from intentionally targeting the villages, and maintain peace and stability on the LoC," the FO said.

Pakistan also handed a demarche over to representatives of the United Nations Military Observers group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) protesting against the Indian Army's targeting of Pakistani civilians across the LoC.

General Headquarters lodged a protest with UNMOGIP representatives against the use of heavy mortal shells by the Indian Army that resulted in the death of a civilian at the LoC, FO Spokesman Nafees Zakaria said.

Pakistan demanded the UNMOGIP to immediately investigate the matter, Zakaria said.

Zakaria, during a weekly press briefing on Thursday, claimed that India had violated the ceasefire agreement more than 90 times in 2016 alone.

'Pakistan ready to assist in Afghan peace process'

The FO during its weekly briefing also welcomed a peace agreement signed between the Afghan Government and the Hezb-i-Islami militant group.

Read more: Afghanistan inks peace deal with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar

FO Spokesman Nafees Zakaria reiterated that Pakistan desires an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process in Afghanistan.

As part of the Quadrilateral Coordination Group, Pakistan stands ready to assist Afghanistan in the peace process, he said.

He said Pakistan has been acting against terrorists without any discrimination.

Afghanistan last month inked the peace agreement with notorious warlord Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, who heads the now largely dormant Hezb-i-Islami, paving the way for him to make a political comeback despite a history of war crimes and after years in hiding.

The deal with Afghanistan's second-biggest militant group marked a symbolic victory for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, who has struggled to revive peace talks with the more powerful Taliban.

Hekmatyar, derided widely as the "butcher of Kabul", was a prominent anti-Soviet commander in the 1980s who stands accused of killing thousands of people in the Afghan capital during the 1992-1996 civil war.

Notion of Pakistan's isolation 'ridiculous'

He said the notion that India is isolating Pakistan internationally is "ridiculous".

He said it was deplorable that India was using fora such as the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) for its political ambitions. India last month pulled out of a Saarc summit that was due to be held in Islamabad in Nov, and other members of the body followed suit.

He said the Saarc summit has been postponed eight times in the past, and India was responsible for the postponement five times.

Zakaria said Pakistan is closely monitoring the developments concerning the Indus Waters Treaty, and any violations of the accord by India will be unacceptable.