Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

LAHORE: The government on Tuesday removed Lahore Electric Supply Company (Lesco) chief executive officer (CEO) engineer Qazar Zaman by cancelling his extension period.

Mr Zaman is the third Lesco CEO removed in two years or so.

A spokesman for Lesco called the development a “routine matter” under a ministry order that his extension period had been cancelled.

A source, however, said Mr Zaman was removed as some senior ministry officials were annoyed with him after the death of some people from electrocution in Lahore and Kasur.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had taken notice of an incident where two persons were killed due to electrocution at a locality of Ferozepur Road.

The source said State Minister for Water and Power Abid Sher Ali, who was recently in Lahore for two days, also suspended Lesco officers, including a superintending engineer, after the prime minister’s notice.


Spokesman calls development a ‘routine matter’


The state minister had also suspended from service the Shalamar sub-division officer and two meter readers for over-billing, negligence, corruption and inadequate safety measures for the workers.

The spokesperson for Lesco said the chief executive officer was already on extension, which the government cancelled and gave temporary charge of the office to General Manager (technical) Chaudhry Anwer.

Mr Zaman had got extension a couple of months ago for an indefinite period after serving as the CEO on an officiating basis for over one year.

On June 2, 2014, then Lesco CEO Arshad Rafique and director operations Mehboob Ali were removed from office by then water and power secretary, Nargis Sethi, for illegally diverting electricity to the areas of their choice and taking money from ‘clients’ for supply power during forced or scheduled power shutdowns.

Later, a central judge (FIA courts) acquitted both of misappropriation and misuse of authority on April 28, 2015.

Mr Rafiq was succeeded by Rao Zameeruddin on an officiating basis, who served for about one year. He was also removed to be replaced by Mr Zaman.

Officials question the ministry’s and board of directors’ practice of running Lesco by officiating bosses.

Mr Ali was not available for comment.

Published in Dawn, August 3rd, 2016