VIENNA: Global powers wrestling for a deal to curtail Iran’s nuclear programme failed to meet another deadline on Tuesday, with all sides vowing to now keep working until the end of the week.

“We are continuing to negotiate for the next couple of days,” EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini told reporters during a break in negotiations in Vienna.

But the United States said the terms of a November 2013 interim accord under which Iran has been cutting back its stock of enriched uranium in return for sanctions relief would be extended until Friday, July 10, meaning this is the effective new deadline.

“We have never been closer, than we’ve ever been on this agreement, and we are still not where we need to be to finalise a deal,” a senior US administration official said.

Negotiators were taking the talks “day by day” as they seek to slot into place the last pieces of a complex negotiation which has lasted almost two years now to deny Iran a nuclear bomb in return for sanctions relief.

It was the fifth time since 2013 — and the second time in this round of talks — that negotiators have missed their own target date as talks have bogged down.

Ms Mogherini insisted it was still possible to overcome the remaining differences and reach a deal to draw a curtain on a 13-year standoff with Iran.

US Secretary of State John Kerry is remaining in Vienna with Ms Mogherini and their Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif. Their Russian and Chinese counterparts have already left.

“I think there is a clear will on both sides now to complete this agreement and to keep at it until we get there,” said British Foreign Secretary Philip Hammond before flying home for 24 hours for budget talks.

After talking deep into the night on Monday, foreign ministers from the so-called P5+1 — Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States — met three times on Tuesday without their Iranian counterparts.

“If very tough political decisions, hard choices, can get made soon, I do believe we can get to an agreement ... it is possible,” the US official said.

Published in Dawn, July 8th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...