QUETTA: Leader of Opposition in the Balochistan Assembly Maulana Abdul Wasay criticised on Saturday the performance of the provincial government and said the provincial budget for 2015-16 did not reflect the aspirations of people.
Opening the debate on the budget in the assembly, Maulana Wasay opposed the allocation of huge funds for law-enforcement agencies, saying they had failed in improving law and order situation in the province.
The session was presided over by acting Speaker Mir Quddus Bizenjo.
Maulana Wasay said the opposition wanted to boycott the budget session, but it was attending it only on the request of Chief Minister Dr Abdul Malik Baloch and Senior Minister Sardar Sanaullah Zehri.
He accused the government of making improper allocations in the budget.
He said the government had failed in both improving the security situation in the province and solving other problems of people.
Referring to the recent killing of policemen in the province, the opposition leader said when personnel of law-enforcement agencies were themselves not safe how they could protect people.
He alleged that the government while taking important decisions regarding allocation of funds for development projects did not take the opposition into confidence.
The opposition leader rejected the official claim that the situation in Balochistan was improving, saying the government had been unsuccessful in resolving the issues of the province.
Mir Karim Nausherwani of PML-Q also criticised the budget and said his constituency in Kharan district was deprived of funds for development projects.
The house approved the Rs26.9 billion supplementary grants for the budget for 2015-16 — Rs15.74bn for development expenditures and Rs10.35bn non-development expenditures.
Adviser to Chief Minister on Finance Mir Khaliq Lango presented the supplementary budget.
Opposition members did not move any cut motion during the approval of the grants.
The session was adjourned till Aug 21.
Published in Dawn, June 21st, 2015