Minister blames foreign hands as 4000kg explosives seized in Quetta

Published October 30, 2014
— Photo by Ali Shah
— Photo by Ali Shah
— Photo by Ali Shah
— Photo by Ali Shah
— Photo by Ali Shah
— Photo by Ali Shah

QUETTA: Frontier Corps claimed to have foiled a major bid of terrorism by seizing 4000 kilogrammes of explosives, suicide jackets, rockets and other weapons from different parts of Balochistan.

  .— Photo by Ali Shah
.— Photo by Ali Shah

Brigadier Tahir Mehmood, the Deputy Inspector General FC, while addressing a press conference on Thursday said that raids were conducted in the Gulistan area of district Qilla Abdullah, which borders with neighbouring Afghanistan and recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition. Home Minister Balochistan Sarafaraz Bugti was also present during the press conference.

Mehmood stated that one accused, identified as an Afghan national was also arrested during the operation. He also said that 31 sub machine guns, 101 missiles and other weapons were also recovered from Gulistan.

Mehmood further added that explosives and weapons were being brought to Quetta and other parts of Balochistan to carry out subversive activities on the eve of Muharram.

Also read: Balochistan: Security forces foil major terror plot ahead of Muharram


RAW and NDS creating unrest in the province: Minister


Balochistan’s Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti during the press conference accused Indian intelligence agency Research and Analysis Wing (RAW) and Afghan intelligence agency National Directorate of Security (NDS) for creating unrest in the province, which has been plagued by terrorism for over a decade.

"They are creating unrest in Balochistan to achieve their nefarious designs," Bugti said. To another question, the Home Minister said government, law enforcement agencies along with people of Balochistan were determined to fight back the elements creating law and order problem here.

When asked about ISIS wall-chalking, Bugti said it was being interrogated by the government and that at this point of time he was not in a position to comment on this.

Bugti further added that anti State elements were bent upon destroying the peace of Balochistan. "We will not bow down before terrorists", Bugti said.

He praised the security forces for foiling major bid of terrorism by seizing huge catche of arms and ammunition during Muharram ul Harram.

Insurgency-hit Balochistan province has been plagued by rising sectarian violence in recent years.

According to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, hundreds of thousands of citizens belonging to religious minority groups as well as settlers from other parts of Pakistan have left Balochistan, owing to an atmosphere of hostility and violence, which has been shaped by sectarian death squads, separatist militants, and the state.

There are numerous actors responsible for violence in Balochistan. Amongst the most lethal are sectarian groups that have repeatedly targeted Shias — mostly Hazaras — while the small Zikri community has also found itself in their cross hairs.

Explore: End sectarian violence in Balochistan, HRW urges


One person injured in Quetta explosion


A blast targeting a security forces' vehicle injured one person in Quetta's Hazar Ganji area on Thursday.

Imran Qureshi, the Superintendent of Police Sariab, told Dawn that militants had planted a bomb in a heap of garbage.

"When the security forces vehicle approached the area, there was a powerful blast," Qureshi said quoting eye witnesses.

He furthermore added that the injured person was a civilian, who was rushed to Bolan Medical Complex Hospital for medical treatment.

Police and Frontier Corps personnel arrived at the site of the blast as investigation into the incident went underway.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

Opinion

Raising the stakes

Raising the stakes

If Israel believes military aggression and its assassination strategy will weaken the Palestinian armed resistance, it is utterly mistaken.

Editorial

The court’s power
Updated 12 Aug, 2024

The court’s power

The SC needs to announce the detailed verdict in reserved seats case soon for the objections against it to be addressed with finality.
Bangladesh’s future
12 Aug, 2024

Bangladesh’s future

Once the dust settles, Dr Yunus should announce a date for fresh polls. This should close the door on speculation.
Monsoon fury
12 Aug, 2024

Monsoon fury

MISERY has become permanent: another year when relentless rains battered parts of the country, wrecking rural and...
Unfulfilled vision
11 Aug, 2024

Unfulfilled vision

The state needs to do much more than it is at the moment to fulfil its “first duty” of protecting “life, property and religious beliefs of its subjects”.
Poor business clime
11 Aug, 2024

Poor business clime

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s plan to launch the first digital registry of the country’s business laws and...
BYC protests
11 Aug, 2024

BYC protests

It is a success worth celebrating. According to reports, the Balochistan government and the Baloch Yakjehti ...