Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

KP police given ‘free hand’

October 04, 2013

Email

Sheraz Paracha, spokesman for the provincial chief minister, said the government was much concerned about the poor security situation in the provincial capital after the frequent terrorist attacks.  — File Photo by Online
Sheraz Paracha, spokesman for the provincial chief minister, said the government was much concerned about the poor security situation in the provincial capital after the frequent terrorist attacks. — File Photo by Online

PESHAWAR: The Khyber Pakhtunkhwa government on Thursday promised not to interfere in the police’s operation against terrorists in the province.

“We’ve given police a freehand to target terrorists in the province and will ensure that there is no political interference in it for the best possible results,” Sheraz Paracha, spokesman for the provincial chief minister, told reporters at Peshawar Press Club.

Mr Sheraz said the provincial government had asked the federal government to return the remaining Frontier Constabulary platoons to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and that was likely to happen very soon.

He said the government was much concerned about the poor security situation in the provincial capital after the frequent terrorist attacks.

The spokesman said Peshawar had been divided into four zones for the upcoming targeted operation against terrorists to be carried out by the quick response force.

He said duty of police at unnecessary locations, especially in Peshawar, had been cancelled in view of the delicate law and order situation.

Mr Sheraz said the government had been taking all possible steps to ensure protection of public life and property and that inspector general of police, home secretary and tribal affairs department were in contact with each other on it.

He said the chief minister had approved the inspector general of police’s security proposals.

The spokesman said the six-kilometer wall around Hayatabad was in dilapidated condition and therefore, it would be repaired on emergency basis.

He said alarms would also be fixed to the wall to check entry of terrorists.

Mr Sheraz said there was a complete ban on the postings and transfers in the provincial police for better efficiency.

He said holding negotiations with militants groups for peace was a complex and serious issue for which the provincial government would formally issue suggestions soon.

The spokesman said the government was taking all possible measures for restoration of cultural activities and preservation of historic buildings and sites, and that all such places would be opened to visitors very soon.