23 August, 2014 / Shawwal 26, 1435

I have been thinking about retirement: Tendulkar

Published Oct 05, 2012 10:10am

Any talk of dropping Tendulkar – the highest run-scorer in Tests and the first player to score 100 international centuries – had been taboo in India. -Photo by AFP

NEW DELHI: Indian cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar admitted on Friday that he is contemplating retirement and said he would reassess his future next month.

In an interview to be broadcast on Indian television Friday, the 39-year-old said he would decide on a “series by series” basis as he acknowledged that the clock was running down on his record-breaking career.

“I am 39 and I don't think I have plenty of cricket left in me,” he told The Times Now station.

Asked if he has been thinking of retirement, he replied: “Of course, I have been.

“I am 39 plus and it is not abnormal for me to think of it. At that moment, I will go by what my heart says. At this moment, my heart says I am okay. But you will have to look at series by series.”

But some commentators said last month it was time for him to hang up his bat after he made a series of low scores against New Zealand in a home Test series.

Tendulkar has scored a record 51 Test centuries but he has now gone 25 innings without a hundred in the five-day format since making 146 against South Africa in Cape Town in January, 2011.

England are to play four Tests against India in November and December and Tendulkar made clear he expected to be playing.

“I need not take a (retirement) call right now. When I play in November, I will reassess things,” he said.

Questioned about suggestions from a number of former players that his reflexes had slowed, Tendulkar insisted that only he could determine whether he was still up to playing at the highest level.

“I am still the best judge of what happens to my mind and body. When I feel it is time, I will take a call,” he said.

“It is going to be a tough call nevertheless. It is going to be tough because this is what I have been doing all my life. It is going to be difficult to suddenly hang (up) my boots one day.”

rahul patil
Oct 05, 2012 02:14pm
ab samzadar ho gaya sachin................
Aaron
Oct 06, 2012 11:29am
reminds me of Ric Flair..."Nature Boy"...i will never retire
SAM
Oct 05, 2012 11:54am
God of Cricket........Respect
Pak_supporter
Oct 05, 2012 01:59pm
I personally think that Tendulkar is waiting to play his last Test series against Pakistan before he retires, the team he played his very first test match against
Datta
Oct 07, 2012 06:53am
Then this news is not for you !!!!!!!
ravinder
Oct 06, 2012 04:08am
I think we forget about jack kalis. Jack kalis is the best cricketer of the world who has scored almost fifty centuries in test cricket & could have scored same like tendulkar had he be opening the inning like Sachin. He has also taken 267 test wickets in addition to fantastic role as a bowler in ODI too. He is excellent fielder. Therefore , Jack is best cricketer & Sachin might have scored more runs by virtue of hanging there for 23 years & his position in ODI. In India no one dares to speak against him like no body open his mouth in congress against Gandhi family.
imran
Oct 05, 2012 10:10pm
Who cares!! There are people dying every day for lack of food and water and we are worried about a billionaire as to when he may or may not retire.
ajay
Oct 06, 2012 08:11am
See Zafar, like it said - God of "Cricket" ... they can have flaws right!
AR Khan
Oct 06, 2012 09:02am
He should have thought of retirement 10 years ago.
Saurabh
Oct 06, 2012 08:59am
The question is not only about world cup finals. Everybody knows he's a human but GOD of cricket means the best player
Datta
Oct 07, 2012 07:05am
I know that kalis is the best cricketer but Playing for 23 yrs for nation is not a joke,Sachin has the capabilities to being a great cricketer.
Shak
Oct 06, 2012 11:01am
A role model on and off the field, real legend.
Imran, Azamgarhd(india)
Oct 06, 2012 03:49am
Who said Gods are flawless. Creating you is his biggest flaw. Try to understand buddy!!!!
saima
Oct 05, 2012 04:48pm
he needs to retire before further embarassment
rameez
Oct 05, 2012 06:09pm
retirement is not the end for u sachin.....world will remember u till the day cricket exists... respect from pakistan.
boom boom shakala
Oct 05, 2012 06:16pm
being indian i cant call him god ...he is definitely the best cricketer in the world undoubtedly ....he shud retire when he feels so .. m sure india will produce another masestro ...
Faisal Taquie
Oct 05, 2012 05:43pm
Going by your comment, there must be at least 100 gods for every sport. Who is the god of hockey? soccer? snooker, etc.? Please show God some respect by not comparing him to a mortal.
mmymasood
Oct 05, 2012 08:20pm
He is a good batsman of the world but his attitude showing that he is not a good man as well. he should get retire at his peak level not when people force him to get retire.
Amol
Oct 05, 2012 08:40pm
Well with the introduction of 20-20 cricket is no more gentelmans game. It has become an like american league games where nothing matters more than money. It's the right time to retire for sachin. The end of real cricket the end of Sachin's career.
sudheer mangalpady
Oct 06, 2012 01:31am
The difference between Indian cricket and Pakistani cricket over the years is Sachin. Not on the field but off it. We've seen a lot of people - pop stars, sportsman etc. wither away when they suddenly had a lot of money at young age. The kind of money he's seen is unparalleled, the kind of fan following is unparalleled. But you need to give it to the man that he is still sane. That rubs on the other youngsters of the likes of Kohli, Dhoni etc. Earlier there were Javed Miandad, Wasim Akram etc. Pakistan needs a Sachin like figure to keep the youngsters sane when they see a lot of money suddenly.
Salahuddin
Oct 05, 2012 05:31pm
Tendulkar the Titan- what ever makes you happy :) U r a legend.
zafar
Oct 05, 2012 05:30pm
No, he never was. You think he is. He played two world cup finals and scored 4 and 18. Gods are supposed to be flawless. That right there, is a flaw. :)
shashank
Oct 05, 2012 09:45pm
Gods can be flawed.. they created the world :)
Omar
Oct 05, 2012 10:04pm
Just ask yourself one question ,Sachin. Would any player been given a chance to continue had he been scoring like you for the past 2 years?
Sandy
Oct 06, 2012 03:32am
don't worry his achievements are far more than his embarrassment.... Thats why he's called a legend...
Imran, Azamgarhd(india)
Oct 06, 2012 04:24am
God here is metaphor dude!!! just chill dhondhu!!
SAM
Oct 06, 2012 07:44am
Sorry my friend you are right...how can I get one day government holiday to show my respect for GOD on roads ???