Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience


Lyari operation stopped, claims Malik


Your Name:

Recipient Email:

Lyari operation
Police officers take positions during a crackdown operation against criminals in Karachi's Lyari area, April 30, 2012. — Photo by AP

KARACHI: Federal Minister for Interior Rehman Malik on Friday said that the police operation in Karachi’s Lyari neighbourhood had been stopped, DawnNews reported. 

Speaking to media representatives, the minister said that police and Rangers were only surrounding the neighbourhood.

"The forces have been ordered to withdraw," Malik said.

Malik further said that "if Aziz Baloch had no trust in the police, then he could surrender to the Rangers".

Responding to a question, Malik said "justice would be done to Uzair Baloch and his companions".

Eighth day

Friday morning saw a tense Lyari as the operation against criminal elements in the area had entered its eighth day.

Sporadic gunfire could be heard in the area as authorities reportedly finalised plans to use helicopters for the operation and deploy Rangers in the area.

Gangsters killed

Earlier on Thursday, the police claimed to have taken two alleged gangsters’ bodies into custody after killing them in an exchange of fire in the area’s Afshani Gali on Thursday morning.

However, the families of the two alleged gangsters, identified asShirazand Junaid, claimed that the two youths were innocent and vehemently denied that they were gangsters.

DAWN_VIDEO - /1029551/DAWN-RM-1x1

LARGE_RECTANGLE_BOTTOM - /1029551/Dawn_ASA_Unit_670x280

Comments (0) Closed