Dr. Ayaz was immediately rushed to Karachi, while Imran was admitted in an isolation ward of Fatima Jinnah Hospital Quetta. - File Photo

QUETTA: A senior surgeon and a medical technician contracted the Congo virus in the provincial capital on Friday.

APP visited Fatima Jinnah hospital Quetta on Friday where a medical technician and two other persons including an Afghan refugee suffering from Congo viral disease were admitted to isolated ward.

“Medical technician identified as Imran was helping a senior surgeon Dr. Ayaz in operating a Congo virus-hit patient at private hospital “National Hospital Quetta” and they were infected with Congo virus.

Dr. Ayaz was immediately rushed to Karachi, while Imran was admitted in an isolation ward of Fatima Jinnah Hospital Quetta.

Dr. Aadam, the Incharge of the Isolation Ward at Fatima Jinnah hospital told that two other patients are also suffering from Congo virus including an Afghan refugee and a youth from Kuchlak tehsil of Quetta.

He said that there is a chance that more attendants and medical staff can get infected with the virus while treating the Congo virus patients.

Meanwhile, sources in the Health Department told APP that the two including senior surgeon Dr. Ayaz and technician Imran were government employees of Civil Hospital Quetta. However, they also provided service at a private hospital in the evening.

They said that 90 per cent doctors and other medical staff of government hospitals in Quetta have been providing their services at private hospitals in the provincial capital and as a result, patients do not find doctors and other staff whenever they visit government hospitals in the metropolis.

Doctors at Fatima Jinnah hospital told that about 350 Congo virus cases had been reported in Balochistan province during last 10 years, of them, 50 patients had died.

More From This Section

IMF not satisfied with bill on ‘SBP autonomy’

IMF is expected to take up the issue with Pakistan during third quarterly review of the $6.78 billion bailout package.

PM orders judicial probe into attack on Hamid Mir

The government also announced a reward of Rs10 million for any information leading to the arrest of culprits.

Sacked Pemra chief to challenge his dismissal

The petition says that ex-Pemra chairman has not been given a chance to clear himself of charges levelled against him.

Over 300 high-profile NAB cases pending

NAB is still mulling over more than 300 pending cases despite its claim that the cases have been reopened.


Comments are closed.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll
From The Newspaper
Tweets