Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

KARACHI: Shahrukh Jatoi, the main accused in the Shahzeb murder case, surrendered himself to the Pakistani consulate general in Dubai on Monday.

It is not clear why did the accused choose to surrender after a lapse of so many days, but his arrest or surrender was imminent since SP Niaz Khosa had left for Dubai on Sunday.

“Legal documentation between Pakistan’s consulate general and Dubai authorities is worked out and the accused is likely to be flown back to Pakistan some time tonight or tomorrow,” said SSP Imran Shaukat, a spokesman for the Sindh police.

The accused is wanted in the Shahzeb murder case who had been shot dead in Karachi’s DHA area allegedly by Shahrukh and Siraj Talpur on Dec 25.

The other accused, Siraj Talpur, his brother and their servant were arrested on Jan 5 when the case had been taken up by the Supreme Court.

Sikandar Jatoi, father of Shahrukh, was also taken into custody from the Supreme Court and flown back to Karachi where he is on police remand.

Sources said the accused had voluntarily surrendered himself to SP Niaz Ahmed Khosa at the Pakistani consulate.

Sources said his (Shahrukh) family in Pakistan was reported to have persuaded him to surrender that was the reason for SP Khosa flying to Dubai a day earlier.

After the surrender, the consulate has sought a no-objection certificate from the Dubai police for his repatriation to Pakistan.