Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

Altaf reaffirms MQM’s participation in Qadri’s march

Published Jan 10, 2013 07:18pm

Activists and leaders of MQM listening to the telephonic address of party chief Altaf Hussain at Lal Qila ground in Karachi on Thursday. – Photo by Online

KARACHI: Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain on Thursday reaffirmed his party’s participation in Tehrik-i-Minhajul Quran (TMQ) long march on Jan 14, DawnNews reported.

Speaking to party workers and members of MQM’s Rabita (coordination) Committee via telephone from London, he said that claims and rumours from several quarters had been proven false and, “We are still part of the government. We are still supporting the long march and we will participate in it at all costs.”

Earlier on Sunday, the MQM chief had asked the nation to be ready for the announcement of a “political drone attack" from him.

“No one in the country will be able to respond to my drone attack,” he had claimed.

In today’s much anticipated speech, Hussain, by defending criticism for holding dual nationality, said that Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah also had a British passport.

He also read out an oath taken by the Quaid-i-Azam after assuming charge as governor general of Pakistan, saying that Jinnah also took the oath of loyalty to British King George VI.

Altaf Hussain also read out a provision of the Indian Independence Act 1947 which stated the office of governor general, in both India and Pakistan, as representative of the British crown.

Moreover, the MQM chief assailed critics of the local government system saying if the government does not listen to Urdu speaking Sindhis on the issue, then they would be forced to call for division of the province.