ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court on Monday granted the judicial commission probing the memo scandal two more months to complete its work, DawnNews reported.
Headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, a nine-judge Supreme Court bench resumed the hearing on the petitions of PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif and others on the secret memo reportedly sent by then ambassador to US Husain Haqqani to former US joint chiefs of staff Admiral Mike Mullen to pre-empt a military takeover.
The original tenure of the commission ends today.
During the hearing, Haqqani’s counsel Asma Jehangir requested the court to ease travel restrictions placed on her client, who, she argued, had family abroad.
Subsequently, the court permitted Haqqani to travel abroad.
“He is allowed to proceed out of country,” Chief Justice Iftikhar said in his order, after Jehangir guaranteed her client would appear before judges at four days' notice if required.
The court moreover directed that in case of travelling abroad, Haqqani would have to inform the court’s registrar office.
In an email to AFP, Haqqani said: “I am glad that the Supreme Court has restored my right to travel, which had been rescinded without any charges being filed against me. I will join my family in the US after discussions with the leaders of the Pakistan People's Party.”
Also, during today's proceedings, the chief justice said that two days ago he had received a letter from Mansoor Ijaz, the central character in the memogate scandal, the contents of which the author had requested to be kept as secret.
He moreover said that the contents of the letter had been made available to the judges on the bench.